Budget hi-fi and vintage audio gear

I’m in the process of putting together a budget hi-fi system and I am curious for any advice fellow Arsians could provide. I would like a system that is purely stereo and produces high SQ rather than high SPL. As it stands now, my computer would be the main audio source (MP3, APE, CD) using my TBSC- however I want to eventually add higher quality separates like a CD player, etc. This system will be used in a bedroom/computer room (small apartment) and I’m pretty set on picking up a pair of Axiom Audio’s M2ti speakers. What I’m looking for is a good quality integrated amplifier (not a receiver, I don’t need radio) that is budget priced (~$250 at most). I’ve done some searching around and it seems vintage equipment could yield the best results for my needs. What sort of vintage equipment would you recommend for my needs? I’ve seen the NAD 3020 or 70’s Marantz equipment come highly recommended  https://waveadvice.com/integrated-amplifiers/ ; does anyone have any experience with this equipment? What are some precautions to take regarding the purchasing of 20+ year old audio equipment? What are common problems old integrated amplifiers run into? Any information and suggestions are highly appreciated! Thanks!
128x128pessen

Showing 1 response by colin44ct357

A 3020 nad will do the job and thr retro sound will blow you away, if you find one have the complete pcb re soldered and pots/switches serviced with wd40.Tighten up the 3055's, output transistors and re solder them.I rework around 36 a year and they blow me away every time.The caps are excellent quality so if if sounds good leave them.You can measure the voltage drop on the tin cans of the 3055's to check its only a volt or 3, at 50% volume tone flat.