budget cd player

The more I read about it, the more I change my mind...
I know many threads cover the subject, but every scenario is different from others and I would like to have your input :

After waht I have read (and seen) about NAD players having hardwear problems, I do not have much trust in it.

I considered the CA 340c, than figured I would be better to go for a better DAC and settled on the 540c.

Than I read the Marantz 5001 is the best there is in that price range.

But since the 540c V2 is not in that price range, it may still be better.

But that was before I found out about the Onix CD5 (formerly known as the cd-99). Great reputation, low price. WOW!

But is it any good without the OPA627 upgrade?

I know you will tell me to trust my ears and to get on with it. But most of these are to be listen to in different stores and in different systems, hence difficult to compare. As for the Onix CD-5, it is to be ordered -- can't even hear it.

I also know there is always a better machine for just 100$ more, but believe me : I cannot go for moer expansive than those listed above.

One thing I have not said : I often feel my speakers a bit heavy on the bass and would like to give a lighter feel to my system.

Thank you all!
remi

Showing 1 response by tweaker123

The Onix is horrible stock. Bass shy and unnatural. I was afaid to mode it it started out so bad. What did you do?