Budget Amp for Maggie MMG's

Hello all.

I'm about to move from Chicago to Dallas, from a spacious one bedroom with 14' ceilings to a very small efficiency. I have just sold off the last pieces of my last system, and am already thinking of a small system to build for the new place in Dallas. Your suggestions will be much appreciated.

My living area will be approximately 21' x 12'. However, seeing as how this space will have to accomodate my bed, a desk, AND the sound system, I'd like to stay away from really big components. I listen mostly to classical (solo cello and piano, lots of chamber music) and small scale jazz (brad mehldau, dave brubeck, female vocals).

Here is what I have in mind (and my budget for each component):

Speakers: Magnepan MMG's (~$300)
Pre: Bottlehead Foreplay
Amp: Acurus A100 or Adcom GFP 545 mkII ($350-400 for both pre and amp, or for an integrated)
Source: No idea, maybe a Sony DVP-NS500V ($200 tops)

I've got the cables covered. Looking for any recommendations on an amp or source, or any comments on this system generally. Should I go for an integrated? The Foreplay looks like a lot of fun to build, which is why I am thinking of going with separates. Given my close living quarters, should I go for more efficient speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Eric
ewha

Showing 1 response by iamcrazy111

If you have 1k to spend on an integrated there are about 5 that are absolutly exelent and seem to reign supreme in their world (pricerange).

• Audio Analogue Puccini SE
• Plinius 8100
• Unison Unico
• Blue Circle CS
• Musical Fidelity A300

Thanks
Eric Baer