Budget $3000-3500 new or used

I listen primarily to acoustic jazz, chamber music, singer/songwriters, new and old folk, and love stringed instruments. I also love solo piano and female jazz vocals, which can sound harsh on the wrong speakers in the wrong room. I love every model of ProAc speaker I have ever heard and currently own the D13 small floor standers. However they are not great in my big listening room, which is 21 x 17 ground floor rec room, wall to wall carpeting on cement slab, some GIK Acoustics bass treatment columns on back wall. Room is well damped with floor to ceiling bookshelves of books, CDs and LPs. I have BAT VK55SE mono blocks and VK32SE preamp, with PS Audio DAC2 and transport, Marantz SACD player, Linn LP12/Lingo/Linto, and Squeezebox Touch. I have been happy with the sound in my room for 16 yrs. Recently my Genesis 500 speakers developed a problem and I have to change. I have listened to a few speakers in my price range locally but most local salons focus on home theater not 2-channel audio and so far the only speaker I heard that remotely satisfies me is the new Focal Aria 926. I was not able to hear the more expensive Be floor standing model but heard the Be stand mounted monitors and did not like it as well as the Arias so perhaps the Be tweeter is not for me even if I could afford it. I also compared the B&W CM9 and CM10 (I owned 801 Series III before the Genesis) but still preferred the Arias. I do NOT like the B&W Diamond tweeter models. I have a REL Storm III sub I can use if necessary but prefer not to if I can get away with it. I am tempted to buy some new Silverline Sonatina IV's or some used older Sonata II's offered in my price range, but have never heard either of them. I have no idea how they would compare to the Focal Aria 926 that I also liked. I know neither is comparable to my old Genesis but I am no longer in the market for $15,000+ speakers. I know I like the Silverline sound from the tiny Minuet Supremes I have in my living room with an ARC CA-50 tube integrated amp. I am also curious about the various Zu models available used in my price range, but again have never heard Zu, only read about them. People have recommended KEF and Joseph Audio to me but I have never heard either of these brands. It's foolish to buy speakers you have never heard even in a shop, I know. Can I take a chance since I have some information about the Silverline sound? Has anyone else heard the new Focal Aria line?
sc53

Showing 1 response by audiokinesis

The Genesis Model 500 is a tough act to follow under the best of circumstances, and for $3.5k it's really tough.

My recollection is that it's poly-directional over most of the spectrum, with a rear-firing tweeter, dipole midrange, and then essentially omnidirectional midbass and bass. Does that sound right?

I've worked with bipolars for several years now, and they are sort of like your Genesis 500 in concept if not in execution. Ime that richness and openness is not going to be replicated by a conventional monopole speaker.

One possibility is Maggies, which unfortunately tend to be on the power-hungry side, but give 'em some breathing room and they can sound magnificent. Maybe Emerald Physics? Equalized dynamic dipoles, I was a dealer in the early days under Clayton Shaw. Used Shahinians, perhaps?

How much would it cost to have your Genesis speakers restored to service? I'm sure you already looked into that, but maybe a non-servo bass section is an option.

Best of luck in your quest,

Duke
dealer/manufacturer