Bryston VS Cambridge Audio

I know, it sounds like an odd topic. Hear me out. I current use a Bryston 3BST of unknown history and a similarly unknown Musical Design SP-2 preamp (upgraded to -2B status). Both units are in terrific shape, and I have no reason to believe they are operating at less than optimal performance. I have a Marantz SA8004 CD player, and listen through either Von Schweikert VR-1 monitors with a Martin Logan Abyss subwoofer or Eminent Technology LFT-8B hybrid planar loudspeakers. Everything sounds great.

However, I am a bit of a bargain hunter, and I'm also dealing with a situation in which my listening room is also our media room, so my 2-channel rig has to pull double duty as an HT system. Rest assured, I make no sonic compromise for the latter. Still, I have become intrigued by the Cambridge Audio 840 (or V2) integrated amp, which would allow a high degree of component integration and system flexibility. I am a big fan of the brand, too. I could have both speaker sets hooked up along with the subwoofer, and maybe even move to the (non SACD) Cambridge Audio 840C CD player with its balanced outputs.

So, am I a fool for considering this? Do any of you have any thoughts about the power amp section of the 840A versus the Bryston, or even the preamp section versus the Musical Design unit? Thanks for all thoughts (and mild mockery, if deserved).
Ag insider logo xs@2xja2austintx

Showing 3 responses by mik971

I have owned the Bryston B60 and the sound was excellent. My good friend has the Cambridge 840 and it is good, but not in the same league. My guess is that you would miss your amp....
I was into seperates for awhile, mixing and matching amps and pre-amps. The B-60 gave me more of what I wanted as far as what I consider "balanced sound". Same goes for the Scott 222c amp I used to own. Just like you I stressed about "cleaning things up", but ended up with an integrated anyway. I think if you find a good musical integrated amp, you won't miss that "top-end air" that seperates usually seem to provide.
If you want to stay around the same price of the CA 840, maybe take a look at the Naim 5 or Prima Luna (tubes)? They would be my first 2 choices around the $1,500 new price range...