Bryston's BP-26 vs 17 cubed

I’m curious if anyone has done a serious comparison of Bryston’s BP-26 and the 17 cubed? I have been demoing the 17 cubed for approx. 40 hours now. Previous preamp was Classe’ Sigma SSP. My other gear consists of Joseph Audio Pearl 20/20, Classe’ CAM-600, PS Audio Memory player and Directstream Senior. I like the 17 and will be demoing the 26 towards the end of the month. The 17 has a nice warmth to it without sounding too syrupy. From what I have gathered the 26 will have more punch towards the base mid-range, and perhaps more detail? I have narrowed it down to either of these two units, not interested in other preamp suggestions. If anyone can shed some insight into this it will be greatly appreciated.
jakesnak

Showing 3 responses by gammonit_2000

I have a used BP-26 and MPS-2 and really like them.  Sorry no comparison to the 17 cubed but I paid 2300 for the pair and are 10 years old with another 10 to go.  I don't want warmth in my gear I can put on a sweater if cold. 
I am using the 7BSST2 monoblocks about 10 years old.  Previously I had the BP20 and 4BSST which sounded a little darker than the current set up.  My Infinity Kappa 8 speakers are very hard to drive so the more juice the better.  You may want to check out the DH Labs Air matrix interconnects.  I just love all their cables but those have been real winners with the locking phono plugs and open literally airy sound. 

Anyhoo as they say it will be interesting to hear your comparisons.  I'm sure the 17 is wonderful too I do wonder if the MPS2 is an improvement though over the 17 power supply.  Also the 17 can have an apparently nice phono stage added which is a plus depending on how proud Bryston is.  Their separate phono preamp is a bit pricey.
Also kind of off topic, but I found it interesting that Gary @ Bryston suggested longer interconnects than speaker cable.