Bryston 4B3 vs Mac MC462 vs Pass Labs X250.8, OR... GRYPHON Diablo 300?

Hi,
Over the next few weeks I am organizing in-home demo of  three pre/power amps for my B&W 803D2's, and will purchase whichever sounds best.  I will be testing the following gear, which is based on what's available where live:
-Bryston B173 / 4B3-McIntosh C47 / MC462
-Pass Labs X250.8, if I can get my hands on one (will probably use the C47 pre-amp to test with this)
The Gryphon Diablo 300 is also a candidate.  I've seen some strong comments from others that Gryphon is in another league compared to the others.
My question is, barring what sounds best to me during my auditioning, in general to most people would the Diablo 300 really beat the others in my list?  And, are there any material disadvantages to sound quality considering the Diablo is an integrated vs the other choices?  I don't really care about having separates, but sound is obviously important.
Secondly related to the Gryphon, there is only one Gryphon dealer that is even remotely close to me.  Should that dealer cut ties down the road, or go out of business, does anyone know how I might go about getting service for the Diablo should I require it at some point?  Is that a valid concern?  There are multiple Mac dealers near me so that would not be so much of a concern.

Thanks in advance for any feedback....

nyev

Showing 10 responses by jafant

nyev

I enjoyed your follow up review. The most important factor is repair/service after the sale. Does The Gryphon have an authorized repair representative here in the U.S.A. ?

Happy Listening!

nyev

I will second, a second audition with the Gryphon. At this performance level and price point, you will want to take another listen, look,  at this beast.

I am ready to read about your next session.  Happy Listening!

nyev

Thank you for the Gryphon review. The B&W is a very fine speaker and Transparent cabling is a sonic match. As above, several factors contributed to the demo experience. First, all components must be properly burned-in. Second, system synergy must be there for the best aural outcome. Third, proper speaker placement and room accommodations are a must. Last not least, it would be interesting to learn which speaker manufacturers Gryphon supports with their gear.

Keep auditioning and writing.

Happy Listening!

nyev
Looking forward in reading about your audition today.  Happy Listening!
nyev
Excellent review! I am looking forward to your next installment w/ the Gryphon.  Happy Listening!
nyev
Thank You for citing your current set-up. After all shoot-outs have been completed, give a shout-out for your dealer/retailer!

Looking forward to your next report.
Happy Listening!
nyev
what other gear including cabling rounds out your system?
I am looking forward to the Bryston/McIntosh comparison. The B&W 803D2 is a very fine loudspeaker.

Happy Listening
ddafoeThank You for the follow up.  What other gear including cabling rounds out your system?  Happy Listening!
ddafoeThank You for the Bryston 4B3 and Pass Labs 250.8 comparison.
Did you step up from a Pass Labs 150.8 ?
Happy Listening!