Brooklyn DAC+ Anyone?

Hey Folks,

I did some searches and did not see anyone claiming to have the DAC+.  Saw one positive review from a site of which I am unfamiliar.  I prefer reviews where there is listening and testing so perhaps we will have to hope for Stereophile or HiFi News to get one but that will probably take some time.

I have a DAC+ on backorder with MusicDirect so hopefully any bugs will be exterminated before I get mine.  I am also hoping for more details on the circuit changes.

Hope you folks are well and good,
Robert
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xrobob
Ostensible;

Im glad to see one of us including a good Chinese option,

your choice of of dac is a interesting set

jeff

robob
 OP
151 posts
02-11-2018 5:52pm
Hey Folks,

The DAC+ is doing well and is wonderful.

I am spinning vinyl through it as I write this. It sounds surprisingly good. I am not sure what caused the constricted sound the first time I tried the MC phono input (analog input set to MC Phone) but I am not hearing it now. This the second time trying it and I warmed it up with the first two sides of a recent re-release of The Koln Concert. The piano was full bodied and Keith's moans were clearly audible.

Robert:  I am deciding between the Benchmark and the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+.   The quality of the Mytek phono section may be the deciding factor.  I have a high end vinyl rig with a Lyra Kleos MC cartridge.  I have had a vintage MFA preamp in my system for a while and the Mytek may get the nod over the Benchmark if the phono stage is more than decent.
The phono stage is good but does not compare to my gold note ph-10 phono stage, as well it should not when you look at prices.

i quickly went back to the ph-10 as it is much more revealing with extended soundstage, deeper bass, clearer vocals etc.

if you have a high end ish Vinyl rig I think you would be better off with a great phono stage.

just my opinions from my experience 
Hello Folks,

I hope you are all well and good.

I agree with uberwaltz.  As I maybe mentioned,  I have a Kleos and it deserves better.  I have a JC3+ and it works well with the Kleos and my Classe CP500 preamp.  

On the other hand,  as a temporary solution the phono section in the DAC+ would be fine.  Also the Benchmark will not do MQA.

BTW, I may start a thread on thus but let me interject here that most folks are buying too low on the cartridge spectrum.  The cartridge has to change mechanical motion into electrical signals which is difficult to do properly.  Assuming a compatible arm, one should at least be at the Delos level.  Also,  understand the current Lyras are very different from the old Helikon/Titan line.  Still detailed but full as well.

Y'all take care,
Robert
Has anyone run the Mytek Control Panel software via Wi-Fi or some other way to remote the controls?  I have a Brooklyn+ that's fairly new and am trying walk thru the multitude of options. It's a pain to keep getting up and going over to my PC/server to adjust things. The display on the unit itself is tiny and not what you'd call user friendly. 

OTOH, the unit is a revelation in my little system...sound wise.