Bridging EAR 890's

Thinking of adding another 890 to the system and wondering if anyone has experience with this set up. I have a pair of Tyler Acoustic monitors with matching 500 watt powered subs. They are rated at 8 ohm. My preamp is a EAR 912. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
drpat
Not to change the subject but if you like to make a few changes, you already know what the EAR sounds like. I remember asking myself when I when I was much younger, " I had 3 beers and felt great, why did I think that 3 more would make me feel better ". 

Full disclosure here, I wasn't that much younger. 

What you are longing for is a full rich midrange which most monitors won't give you. 

New speakers.......
So Knghifi, what is this cable that beat your SRs? Granted, this was in YOUR system with YOUR ears. Everyone has a different opinion on sound...and taste. That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.
Knghifi.......what in the hell are you talking about?!?!? Both quotes you listed were from me...ok. In both I'm saying that EAR is overpriced (ok, in the grand scheme of things, everything is but for the sake of argument...). You then say, "All I can say is more $= superior sound". ??? What??? That is complete bull***t. Everything is system dependent. ESPECIALLY with passives. And you say, "you get what you pay for". Give me a break. If that were the case then the most expensive equipment in the world would sound the best....no ifs, ands, or buts. To each his own, but in my experiences, nothing beats a passive when used properly. Maybe your system doesn't "like" a passive preamp.

I keep scrolling up to re-read your last post, trying to make heads or tails of it and I fail to do so every time. I keep laughing at the "you get what you pay for" line about the Lightspeed. The LSA is probably the best passive I've heard regardless of price. Oh well, like I said....to each his own.
EAR=Ridiculously overpriced equipment. Same as Music First Audio passive preamps. Sound great, but better can be had for less....much less.
Then don't buy it!

Knghifi, I bought my first EAR product brand new. It was Tim's 834 integrated and it retailed for $3,600 17 years ago. In the past I've spent $490 on an Lightspeed passive preamp and $1,150 on a Will Vincent modified Dynaco ST-70. Throw in a pair of interconnects (at a reasonable price), and at under $2,000, that combo smoked the 834 in terms of air, transparency, midrange warmth and bass articulation. The price on the 834 has gone up considerably in 17 years.
All I can say is more $$ != superior sound. Also there are always issues of compatibility between your components. If you have a 1 watt $999999999 amp, it will not drive an inefficient speaker.

With all the hype, I bought a Lightspeed and sold it after a month. I'm not bashing the Lightspeed but you do get what you paid for. Compare to my active pre, it's inferior in every aspect. Even though my active that I bought new retails $18000, it's great value to ME with the quality of sound it provides.

For ~2 years period, I was using all Synergistic ICs and SCs and eventually all Apex. Then I found a cable much less expensive and superior sound in my system. I sold all the SR and just a SR Apex bi-wire SC covered my cost for 2 pairs of SC and a IC. SR is overpriced to me and don't have to deal with all the MPC wires.

Bottom line is everything is overpriced if it doesn't work in your system and the value of a product is independent of the price.
Hey, everything is overpriced. Buy a clock radio...or be an audiophile.

Seriously though, I owned EAR 519's and they were really sweet. EAR has a unique personality which I found a little too "tubey" for me. I get a lot more detail out of other tube amps I have-just a personal choice though.

If money didn't matter, I don't think I would go back to EAR amps but if I was stuck with your amp I could live happily ever after and never look back :-)
EAR=Ridiculously overpriced equipment. Same as Music First Audio passive preamps. Sound great, but better can be had for less....much less.
Knghifi, I bought my first EAR product brand new. It was Tim's 834 integrated and it retailed for $3,600 17 years ago. In the past I've spent $490 on an Lightspeed passive preamp and $1,150 on a Will Vincent modified Dynaco ST-70. Throw in a pair of interconnects (at a reasonable price), and at under $2,000, that combo smoked the 834 in terms of air, transparency, midrange warmth and bass articulation. The price on the 834 has gone up considerably in 17 years.
I HOPE your getting a good deal on the 890. I think it's a crime how Tim jacked up the prices on his stuff over the years. As a former EAR owner of Tim's cd player, integrateds and stereo amps, I will say that his stuff is very good but ridiculously overpriced in relation to the sound you get. I think his products are more bling than sing.....I just made that up!
IMO, I don't find EAR overpriced for the quality of sound it offers. I still remember the magic an entry level EAR integrated driving Verity speakers and it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard. So delicate, transparent ... any more transparent it would break.
Devilboy, yes live once. Life is too short. I did get a good deal. I would have a hard time scoring one of the EAR's if it wasn't for Audiogon.
I HOPE your getting a good deal on the 890. I think it's a crime how Tim jacked up the prices on his stuff over the years. As a former EAR owner of Tim's cd player, integrateds and stereo amps, I will say that his stuff is very good but ridiculously overpriced in relation to the sound you get. I think his products are more bling than sing.....I just made that up!

But seriously Drpat, the 890 is a fine amp and it gave me countless hours of enjoyment as I'm sure it's doing the same for you. Do you need two? Well, I know you said doing so will give you more flexibility with future speakers, but if your not cranking up the system to loud levels and depending on the material you listen to then maybe just stick with one and save some $. Or, screw it and splurge. You only live once.
Elevick, Yes i have had it running without the subs. Sounds great but not quite as full bodied.

My cables, IC's and PC's are Audience, Krell KID ipod dock, 5000+ lps,no room treatments but good acoustics, power condition, Speakers are custum built by Tyler Acoustics,etc.
I would take the extra money and put it towards cables, music, room treatments etc...

One thing I am curious about: Have you tried running these without the subs connected at all? How's the sound?
I had EAR 890 years ago and it's a fantastic amp. I would run them in mono if I have 2. I THINK flip a switch and jump the 2 channels ... contact a EAR dealer or distributor for more info.
Elevick, thanks for the reply. Why? Good question. Honest answer.. Because I like to tweak. I have an opportunity to acquire another 890 at a very good price. I run my speakers full range. I'm not a fully knowledgeable audiophile. Thinking full separation of L vs. R. Shorter cable runs. More flexibility with future speaker decisions. And, it will look nice.
WHY? Honestly, your amp is 70 wpc of pure tubes, your speakers are 92db at 1 watt. That puts you at about 110db continuous. That's without a pair of 500 watt subs. Are you using a crossover on the speakers or running them full range?
By bridging to 140wpc will only gain you about 3db which probably isn't even audible.
I do speak from experience having owned the 509's with coincident speakers rated at 92db. Things got pretty loud at 10 watts. I can't imagine needing 140wpc.