Bridging EAR 890's

Thinking of adding another 890 to the system and wondering if anyone has experience with this set up. I have a pair of Tyler Acoustic monitors with matching 500 watt powered subs. They are rated at 8 ohm. My preamp is a EAR 912. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
drpat

Showing 3 responses by knghifi

I had EAR 890 years ago and it's a fantastic amp. I would run them in mono if I have 2. I THINK flip a switch and jump the 2 channels ... contact a EAR dealer or distributor for more info.
I HOPE your getting a good deal on the 890. I think it's a crime how Tim jacked up the prices on his stuff over the years. As a former EAR owner of Tim's cd player, integrateds and stereo amps, I will say that his stuff is very good but ridiculously overpriced in relation to the sound you get. I think his products are more bling than sing.....I just made that up!
IMO, I don't find EAR overpriced for the quality of sound it offers. I still remember the magic an entry level EAR integrated driving Verity speakers and it was one of the best sounds I've ever heard. So delicate, transparent ... any more transparent it would break.
EAR=Ridiculously overpriced equipment. Same as Music First Audio passive preamps. Sound great, but better can be had for less....much less.
Then don't buy it!

Knghifi, I bought my first EAR product brand new. It was Tim's 834 integrated and it retailed for $3,600 17 years ago. In the past I've spent $490 on an Lightspeed passive preamp and $1,150 on a Will Vincent modified Dynaco ST-70. Throw in a pair of interconnects (at a reasonable price), and at under $2,000, that combo smoked the 834 in terms of air, transparency, midrange warmth and bass articulation. The price on the 834 has gone up considerably in 17 years.
All I can say is more $$ != superior sound. Also there are always issues of compatibility between your components. If you have a 1 watt $999999999 amp, it will not drive an inefficient speaker.

With all the hype, I bought a Lightspeed and sold it after a month. I'm not bashing the Lightspeed but you do get what you paid for. Compare to my active pre, it's inferior in every aspect. Even though my active that I bought new retails $18000, it's great value to ME with the quality of sound it provides.

For ~2 years period, I was using all Synergistic ICs and SCs and eventually all Apex. Then I found a cable much less expensive and superior sound in my system. I sold all the SR and just a SR Apex bi-wire SC covered my cost for 2 pairs of SC and a IC. SR is overpriced to me and don't have to deal with all the MPC wires.

Bottom line is everything is overpriced if it doesn't work in your system and the value of a product is independent of the price.