Bridging EAR 890's

Thinking of adding another 890 to the system and wondering if anyone has experience with this set up. I have a pair of Tyler Acoustic monitors with matching 500 watt powered subs. They are rated at 8 ohm. My preamp is a EAR 912. Your comments will be greatly appreciated.
drpat

Showing 6 responses by devilboy

I HOPE your getting a good deal on the 890. I think it's a crime how Tim jacked up the prices on his stuff over the years. As a former EAR owner of Tim's cd player, integrateds and stereo amps, I will say that his stuff is very good but ridiculously overpriced in relation to the sound you get. I think his products are more bling than sing.....I just made that up!

But seriously Drpat, the 890 is a fine amp and it gave me countless hours of enjoyment as I'm sure it's doing the same for you. Do you need two? Well, I know you said doing so will give you more flexibility with future speakers, but if your not cranking up the system to loud levels and depending on the material you listen to then maybe just stick with one and save some $. Or, screw it and splurge. You only live once.
Knghifi, I bought my first EAR product brand new. It was Tim's 834 integrated and it retailed for $3,600 17 years ago. In the past I've spent $490 on an Lightspeed passive preamp and $1,150 on a Will Vincent modified Dynaco ST-70. Throw in a pair of interconnects (at a reasonable price), and at under $2,000, that combo smoked the 834 in terms of air, transparency, midrange warmth and bass articulation. The price on the 834 has gone up considerably in 17 years.
EAR=Ridiculously overpriced equipment. Same as Music First Audio passive preamps. Sound great, but better can be had for less....much less.
Knghifi.......what in the hell are you talking about?!?!? Both quotes you listed were from me...ok. In both I'm saying that EAR is overpriced (ok, in the grand scheme of things, everything is but for the sake of argument...). You then say, "All I can say is more $= superior sound". ??? What??? That is complete bull***t. Everything is system dependent. ESPECIALLY with passives. And you say, "you get what you pay for". Give me a break. If that were the case then the most expensive equipment in the world would sound the best....no ifs, ands, or buts. To each his own, but in my experiences, nothing beats a passive when used properly. Maybe your system doesn't "like" a passive preamp.

I keep scrolling up to re-read your last post, trying to make heads or tails of it and I fail to do so every time. I keep laughing at the "you get what you pay for" line about the Lightspeed. The LSA is probably the best passive I've heard regardless of price. Oh well, like I said....to each his own.
So Knghifi, what is this cable that beat your SRs? Granted, this was in YOUR system with YOUR ears. Everyone has a different opinion on sound...and taste. That's why they make vanilla and chocolate.