Bricasti M3 In the house

Just got a Bricasti M3 with the Ethernet renderer module. Looking forward to breaking this piece in. First impressions are: it’s a winner. I am curious what ways folks who have this DAC (or other Bricasti models) run it; over ethernet or USB? I will report my findings as the days tick by; Right now it’s cooking on ethernet out of my InnuOs Zenith MKIII into an ether-regen into the M3;
Thanks!
Dave
128x128dpac996
@hgeifman, did you ever compare the M3 to the M21 delta sigma?   I thought I heard somewhere the M3 (with MDx) was pretty much the same as what is in the M21 delta sigma, but I don't know if that is true or not.  I've heard the M21 ladder DAC sounds really really good.

I just sold my 3 month old M3 (had MDx) to try a few other things.  I really liked it and might buy it again, but it didn't blow away my much older SimAudio 380DSD and so I guess I'm still looking...

I'm now going to try a few lower priced DACs that have a lot of recent buzz to see how they compare.   I've got both a Topping D90 MQA and  RME ADI 2 DACFS in shipment to play with.   My M3 remote cost $500 and the D90 MQA $800, so this should be an interesting comparison :)
@ddafoe,  No.  My Bricasti M21 DAC is in my main audio system and the Bricasti M3 DAC is in my home theatre system that uses the LG OLED TV as the source.  My home theatre system was using the Ayre Codex DAC that I thought was excellent.  I then purchased the M21 DAC (main system) and moved my SimAudio 380 DAC from my main system to the home theatre system.   It was okay so I auditioned the Bricasti M3 DAC (no remote) and sold the SimAudio.  

The Bricasti M3 DAC is excellent and I felt sounded much better than my SimAudio 380 DAC.  As you know, everyone has a different opinion on what sounds good.  Audio is very strange hobby.  I agree with you that it is fun to "try a few other things".  

You might want to look at the Ayre CODEX DAC since it has excellent sound. Its list price is about $1,800 and I have seen them on Audiogon for sale around $1,000.  I am not familiar with the other DAC's you mentioned.  
You had a 380D too... that is funny.  Yea, we all hear differently and like/emphasize different things in our listening.   I've had a few folks tell me I should upgrade my streamer before I seriously compare my DACs or really hear what the M3 can do.   I'm using a RaspberyPi with S/PDIF output running Roon streaming over a Shunyata Anaconda digital cable.  If I buy the M3 again I'll be sure to get the Ethernet streamer.

I'm just hesitant to spend big bucks on a standalone streamer when the Pi works so well running Roon and at least without comparison still sounds amazing.   The little Pi just sits quietly running Roon 24/7 with no issue.  I maybe should have just paid to get the Mind2 card for the 380D and kept it another 5 years...

The RME is a German made DAC (based on their pro gear) and the latest version uses the AK4493.   I've enjoyed AKM DACs in the past.
The Topping uses the AK4499 and for $800 includes  PCM32bit / 768 kHz, DSD512 Native, and MQA; how do you go wrong with all of that :)

Anyhow, I'll report back after I spend some time with each; will I miss my M3 ?
@ddafoe, Since your RaspberyPi with the S/PDIF output running Roon is sounding great, I seen no reason to replace it.  It is cost effective and is doing the job.   

As you posted, your goal is to "try a few new things".  I encourage you to try the RME DAC and also the Topping DAC.   You need to hear these DAC's in your system to determine how they sound.

If possible, I suggest you give the Ayre CODEX DAC a 
listen.   I temporarily used it in my main audio system and it sounded excellent.  It gets warm so it does need ventilation.   I suggest you use it balanced output to your amplifier since it will sound better with balanced outputs.    
@ddafoe Looking forward to hearing about the dacs.

I did a dac shootout this fall, and comparing a lot of different chips/approaches was quite informative.  I ended up with an audio mirror, and people wanted to tell me that my ears were wrong because you're "supposed" to like Lampizators better. Different systems and different ears = different preferences.

Do report back to add some data points. Good luck.