Bragging rights.....

I recently conducted an experiment and ended up moving from a very good sounding system consisting of separate components that I carefully assembled over time to a "future fi" system. Only part of the  phono rig, old speakers, their setup within the rooms, and speaker wires remain.

A Cambridge Evo 150 all-in-one replaced 9 different components including interconnect wires. I held onto all the old stuff until I reached the point where I was convinced they were no longer needed and recently have started to sell some of it to others.

The new streamlined system sounds really good! I’m not missing all that older stuff nor the work that went into assembling a good sounding system myself. ALso the flexibility to listen to music in many ways utilizing many different sources as desired is incredible!

So I think I lose some bragging rights.... it was easy to buy that one unit, hook it up, and deliver the good sound I always crave. Anybody could do it!

Also I think I no longer would lay any claim to being an "audiophile" anymore having made things so relatively simple. I will call myself an "audio enthusiast" now, however I still will always want to keep an eye on what else is out there...especially the latest and greatest innovative applications of technology that might still move things forward. "Future Fi" is the term I have read that seems to describe these kinds of transformative products these days.

Thoughts?

128x128mapman

@mapman No Doubt … If only the mfg’s would work out the kinks 1st rather than rushing to market 1st, that would be great !

@condosound

My bet was that the technology available now in the good products would move me forward and that happened.

What lies on the future? Probably even better things and more options So I will cross that bridge when it comes. The Evo will likely not be going anywhere soon.

Remember this was an experiment that worked out I waited over 6 months to start unloading the old gear.

I have a BelCanto c5i still upstairs as well. Also does it all except requires separate streamer. There is a newer model out the c6i. Probably already another step forward there, but not planning any changes there at present

@mapman, very interesting, Map! I have somewhat struggled a bit with doing this very thing as a wholesale change. I pretty well completed my "retirement" system a few years ago, and while I am not quite yet retired, the system is, and has, given me such pleasure. 

Over the years I have accumulated a few extra pieces prior to that main system over-haul, and have kept the best pieces out of it all. One of these pieces is an all-in-one Naim Uniti1, the swiss-army knife of audio components that I have. It does pretty much everything, CD, Streamer, FM tuner, amp, preamp, DAC, in one fine box. And while it is over 10 years old, has done sterling service and I know what it is capable of, and still use it. Quite impressive even if it is "outdated" by todays standards. Yet I could live with it, as it can drive my Duevel Venus omni's quite well. 

At times, the thought of ditching all my other gear, and buying an up-to-date one box wonder, gives me great pause. Yet in it, it seems almost a good thing too, as the last couple years of my life has come about much simplifying/downsizing, yet I still do not want to compromise the quality I have in my main system. Something that I may have to come to grips with in the next year or so possibly. Really, quite a few of these all-in-one pieces are quite good in reality, it is just maybe we don't always allow ourselves to move on from the audio-nerdery business thinking it can't be as good-or even better. Maybe it is though. Everyone's situation is different, and why one might go this route or not. The main thing is still being able to enjoy our music to the fullest, no matter what the hardware may be. 

Enjoy the Cambridge, am glad you kept the Ohms, and that it appears to be working for you! I may too succumb to the dark side of downsizing/simplifying my setup soon. 

For those less inclined to dabble and experiment (and nitpick even perhaps)there has always been a strong argument for letting the experts do the integrations for you. Also to avoid having to connect things with pricey wires. I believe technical innovation will continue to provide more and better options for various all in one devices that can replace many. If the goal is to cut to the chase and get good sound ASAP, it is a real option to consider. Of course in the end it is still always different strokes for different folks, but some strokes are just easier and more productive than others. It all depends. No news there.

@frazeur1 good to hear from you.  

Yes Downsizing is something I consider these days.  But it’s always nice to simplify things, eliminate clutter and recover space.