Bowers and Wilkins 805s, use as TV speakers ??????

Need opinions.....

I have 2 B&W 805s speakers with stands that I was planning to sell, as new speakers have arrived for my dedicated audio system (located in the music room). We just bought a new 65" Panasonic plasma TV (for the family room) which has extremely poor speakers built-in to the TV cabinet.

We do have an Oppo Blu-Ray player, but watch very few movies. The purchase of an external speaker system is a must. Was thinking about the B&W Panorama sound bar (retail at $2k) as I really have no desire for a surround system at this time.

As I was placing the 'for sale' ad for my 805s' I was wondering if the 805's would do the trick? Or, would the sound bar be better for this purpose? Again, not looking for surround sound, just want full sound.

Has anyone ever used these as TV speakers? Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!
bhpedalpusher
You will need an amp for the 805s (as you probably know) but the ability to separate them as well as their inherent quality would make them my choice.

My daughter uses a pair for her TV system.

Kal
you may as well hook them up and see what happens, but movies are mixed very differently than music cd's, with exaggerated bass and a unique way of adding voice tracks that can be heard (but only with the volume cranked way up).
i have a cheap but good Sony (self-powered) surround system i purchased for $600 with rear speakers, built-in subwoofers, and a built-in center channel. it sounds amazing on Lord of the Rings but not so great on Stevie Ray Vaughn. it has a remote with a number of different ways to equalize movie sound but doesn't have the right controls for 2-channel audio. you may have the opposite problem with the 805's- either not a good foundation and/or difficulty hearing dialog. perhaps a graphic equalizer would be helpful in this regard.
And then again, you may find that the sound-bar is immensely satisfying with the TV on regardless of how it plays music, which leaves you with a tough decision to make regarding those wonderful 805's.
I would give them a try and see how you like them.... if you don't like them send me an email i might buy them from you...
Bill
Thank you for the responses so far! It is a dilemma!

Kal, as far as the amp goes, I do have a Rotel RB-1080 200w/ch that I can use (and have been using) with the 805s'. Just never thought about this arrangement for the TV situation. To be honest, the Rotel was going to go on the selling block at the same time as the 805s'.

The 805s has been a great speaker and I don't want to regret selling them if they will do a better job than the sound bar. Another option might be to use them for the left and right channels, then add a center channel at a later date. I haven't looked into it but I am sure B&W makes a good/decent center channel speaker.

Has anyone else ever heard the 805s' used in a TV arrangement? If so, did you use a center channel, if so, which one did you prefer?

Jim

Bill, if I do decide to let them go, will let you know.
O... ok well i am sure you could sell them there. but still try to use them.
Bill
You shouldn't need a center channel. Those 805s would be great for a properly set up 2 channel TV system. I only use 2 speakers in my set up and it works great.

All the best,
Nonoise
I would not sell them.

Sell the Rotel and get a modern/new receiver with 150+ watts per channel with the newest codecs DSP, sound management and HDMI in/outs. Run HDMI from cable box into the receiver and out of receiver to the TV.(See Marantz, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, Yamaha.)

Use a good aftermarket power cord 12 to 14 awg, and good cabling.

If you decide to add a center channel later you will be all set a sub as well may be useful for low freq. effects. It will all be easy to integrate with the addition of a quality receiver. You could also use the receiver as a Pre/Pro and keep the amp in the system if you really like how it powers the B&Ws. Just my thinking.
M805's, or N805's? Neither are my favorite speaker (I've owned both), but you & lots of other people love them.

Anyway, I routinely watch movies & even general TV thru 2 channel audio systems hooked up to both of my TV's. Very satisfying, depending on the speakers, amps, etc. of course. I'm using little Spendor S3/5 SE's in my "bedroom system" right now, for TV, movies, & music, & they are terrific.

Anyway, I say, keep the 805's & even the Rotel amp, & use them with your new TV. It can also be a "dual purpose" music listening/movie watching system that way, with a CDP, or tuner, etc.
I used a stereo pair of speakers with TV for years and years (first ADS L1090s) and later Mirage M5si's with no ill effects. I used a stereo pair for 18 years before I finally got a digital processor and added a center and surrounds. WIth a good, clear speaker with good midrange (which the 805s have) you can hear everything including dialog just fine. Just make sure you configure the Oppo for 2-channel mixdown and you should be fine.
Bhpedalpusher,

Mine is just a simple set up due to room constraints. I have the LCD TV centered between the speakers with my stereo rack off to one side of TV. The speakers are of equal distance from the TV. This set up is along the long wall.

My amp is a Burson PI-160 intergrated. As good as your speakers are along with that amp (I used to own a Rotel RB-1080) you should have no problem getting good results.

All the best,
Nonoise
Thank you to everyone for your time and advice!

Through your comments, I have decided to utilize the 805s' along with the Rotel RB-1080 and see how they do for this purpose. I have an extra Rel Q108 that I can throw into the mix as well. This might help out with the low end.

Again, a "Huge" "Thank you" to all!

Jim