Boutique or Big Brand?

Good evening everyone! I am looking at new speakers in the $5k, maybe $6k range. My electronics and room dimensions are on "my system" posted on my profile so I won't repeat them here. I currently have Tekton Impact Monitors, but feel they do not have a good low end (I posted my review on another post so won't bore everyone here). That said, they were the best I could afford at the time and above 40Hz sound good to me.

Now I am ready to upgrade and am faced with a decision... Do I go boutique with a bigger pair of Tektons, or maybe the Salk Song3 A or BeAts; or something from Zu or Devore? Or do I go with a Big Brand like the Sonus faber Sonetto V, B&W 702, or Focal Arias?

I have heard the Tekton, Sonetto V, and B&W 8-series (not the 7 in my price range). I want a slim tower because I feel a lot of them have the same footprint as a pair of standmounters and have better bass extension.

So, what are the benefits of boutique over big brand and vice-versa? It seems in my price range boutique may be the way to go? Thoughts? Any other recommendations?

Because of the pandemic I had to move to a place that doesn't have the audio stores that N.Y.C. and Columbus, Oh. did when I lived there, so I am asking your opinions. Please keep it positive and constructive, thank you.

l1975r

Showing 5 responses by l1975r

@grislybutter ​​@james633 & @ghdprentice Thank you all for taking the time to reply with your insights.

@dreas & ​​​​@mapman thank you for giving me additional questions to think about. That's why I am here.

@audioguy85 the Tannoy Stirling are on my list. I bought my turntable from Upscale and noticed those. They, like the Sonus faber are pretty.

@12many after reading your post I think I am going to have to take the 4-hour trek to the nearest city and go do some listening.

Thank you all for your responses. A lot to think about here.

@missioncoonery &  @mofojo I agree and am tempted by getting a "better" speaker, and a used pair of Sonus faber would allow me to move up the line from the Sonetto V I am considering new, but my concern is that I have been burned before on used online audio (and watch) purchases and this would be a lot of money (for me anyway) to get burned for if it didn't work out again.

I really was saving for the B&W 805 D3. I heard them in Columbus hooked up to the McIntosh MC152, which I have and fell in love. I just couldn't afford them at the time. Now I see used pairs for about $4,500 and am tempted, but I don't want to get screwed again with online used. The new 805 D4 are now $8,500 and out of range. $6,500 for the D3 was doable with saving, but I do not (read shouldn't) want to spend $8,500 on speakers as I have other responsibilities in life.

@audioman58 my room is only 10' x 11' with an 8' ceiling. I know that would normally say 2-way monitor and be done. I feel (and may be wrong) that monitors on stands have the same footprint as a slim tower and If I get a quality slim tower it will probably have a wider frequency response. It is a small dedicated listening room, only the system, some room treatments,  and a chair are in the room.

@kingdeezie good food for thought.

I think, out of my original seven "thoughts", I am going to go with the Sonus faber I was thinking about. I heard the Sonetto V and liked them. I also feel for the money they offer a bit of beauty and have trickle-down tech from their higher lines. Sonus faber seem almost universally well liked from pro critics like stereophile, P.T.A., Guttenberg, etc. And a good deal of people on here like them too. They have a boutique look, backed by a big brand, and seemingly decent resale value if they don't work out.

Thank you all for your thoughtful insights and the time you took to respond, I appreciate it! Happy listening!