Boulder monoblock 2150

Looking at the new Stereophile Magazine. Has anyone noticed the "32 Amp IEC Cord" on the back of the amplifier?  

N
nutty

Showing 2 responses by onhwy61

The best quality audio products have always been expensive.  When introduced in 1957 the JBL Paragon cost $1,850 and big spenders such as Frank Sinatra owned them.  The Paragons were expensive, but as someone pointed out earlier in this thread. they would be within the reach of a professional class person.  Today the inflation adjusted price of the Paragons would be around $16,000, which is an order of magnitude less than what current SOTA loudspeakers designs are priced.  I believe Wilson was the first US audio manufacturer to price his products as luxury goods with Boulder being quick to follow.  Since both companies are seen as very successful I can only conclude that there is a real market for their luxury offerings.  I'm in no position to say whether the buyers are making wise, prudent or sensible decisions when they purchase Wilson of Boulder.

I once read that for an average family $500 was the limit of unplanned discretionary planning which was roughly 1% of the family's annual income.  So if you made $500,000 you could drop $5,000 without batting eye.  If you made $5 million the amount increases to $50,000.  The math is straightforward.  We live in a world where any number of people can buy the Boulder amp without even thinking about the cost.  As a person of normal means I cannot really imagine what that is like.

I have no problem with extreme wealth, except with how it is corrupting our democracy.
To put spending $100K for an audio component into perspective, it was reported today that a "Russian billionaire" hired Mariah Carey, Elton John, the DJ Mark Ronson and Antonio Banderas to perform at his granddaughter's wedding.  The cost of flying Carey and her band to Russia and the hotel cost alone probably exceeded $100K.

The idea that the mega rich don't know how to put together and setup a high end audio system is irrelevant -- they simply hire someone who does.  It actually sounds like the dream job for an audiophile.  Traveling around the world auditioning, selecting and setting up cost no object systems.