Boulder 2160 vs Dan D'Agostino S250MxV

Thoughts between the Boulder 2160 and the Dan D'Agostino S250MxV for powering Wilson Alexia V.  Lets say listening volume only needs 150 watts.

chauncey

if you are looking for great solid state also consider t+a

the t+a A3000 is a remarkable performer for a lot less then either of those amps

and you have an upgrade path by adding an s 3000 power supply you can further improve the amp and you can also go mono

Dave and Troy

Audio intellect nj

t+a dealers

Boulder and D'Agostino have fairly different goals in their sound character so I'd say it depends what you're looking for. Both are excellent options.

-nekoaudio I've heard people say D'Agostino have a more tube like sound, is this true?  

Given those two amps and speakers, in-home audition is a must! I wouldn’t buy blind or based on the opinions here. The dealer carrying these lines should be more than willing to facilitate home audition. 

chauncey

Yes, the D'Agostino amp will exhibit a tube-like presentation and sound.

Visit your local dealer/retailer and listen, listen, listen.

Merry Christmas!

You will need min 250-300W rms  

most recorded music,,during heavy guitar, drums, orchestral crescendos, different frequencies, etc, will need the headroom so you don’t clip the amp.

I know, I know,…..150 is fine, it is, but if you like volume, any,volume at all, you will need 250-300W to ensure the amp don’t clip on you.

I’ve written a lot of messages in here regarding my past 36 years buying,using,listening to music, all kinds, mostly metal, rock, blues, at loud,levels, I have clipped every,amp until I bought the rotel rd1090, lasted me a couple years, BUT,….that was my first high powered amp, 380w 8 ohm, 720+W rms at 4 Ohm, and stable to lower.

mine had a bad inrush current limiter, so one.morning, blue/white flash popped, then some,smoke,….

anyway, I’ve never had less than min 250W amp/s. 
I have not,clipped any amp the past 25+ years. 
having the headroom will,give you that effortless, flowing, never distorted sound, and airy stadium like sound. 

I will never go,below 300W any,more. Just my opinion. 

my amps now are 600-650W rms at 8 Ohm, 1000W rms at 4 Ohm, stable to much lower. Speakers only rated to 250 MAX,never had an issue, never fatiguing, always clean,clear and amazing. 

acoustic guitar is sublime, (eagles, Donovan,, ) electric guitar is “in the room” (Gary Moore, m Schenker, malmsteen)

metal is also great, never clip, or strain the amps. Always fluid and they buzz along with ease

thanks for reading my,dribble. Merry Christmas 🎄🎁 

What makes these higher and amplifiers so much better then the other very nice amplifiers?

I’m looking at these 2 amps as well and will be interested to see what you choose and why. Heard great things about both amps. I lean toward the D’Agostino personally,  it really draws me in with texture, tone and other nuances. Boulder seems more “live” I guess but only heard it briefly once. 

@arcticdeth Alexia V 4 ohm speaker and the S250 is rated at 500 watts at 4 ohm.  90 dB efficient.  Seems like that would give you some headroom.  I'm now leaning toward the Progression S350 as it gives me some budget for a Dan D'Agostino Progression Preamp.