Boulder 1008 advice on cartridge loading

Hi everyone.
Just got a new Boulder 1008 phono stage to replace my Herron VTPH-3.
My cartridge is a Benz LPS.

I was expecting to be blown away on first listen but was not. The output was half that of the Herron which has led me to suspect the default loading of 100ohms for the MC setting is not correct for the Benz LPS.

Having just pulled out the Benz instruction manual it states the recommended loading is 500ohms to 47,000ohms.

I am fairly new to the whole vinyl thing so do not know what this means in my case with the Boulder 1008.

Any comments would be appreciated.
vmhf

Showing 4 responses by vmhf

Thanks mate.
I will give that a try once the Boulder has reached a few hundred hours of run in. Its only a few weeks old.

Cheers.
Just another update that I have soldered in a resistor to make the effective loading 500ohms.
The beauty of the Boulder 1008 is it has two inputs so I have left input 1 as 1000ohms loading and input 2 as 500ohms!

First impressions with 500ohms gives a more open sound that seems to accentuate the mids and highs a little more. This means I can hear more surface noise as well!
With 1000ohms the sound seems more balanced with a more enjoyable foundation too.

Its good to have both loading options at the flick of a switch though!
Thanks guys.
Realized I posted this thread in the wrong subsection!

Yes, my mistake Al. I do have the Herron VTPH-2 which is their current model phono stage.

Will try disconnecting the resistor using a soldering iron and see how it goes.
Keep posted!
Just like to mention that I disconnected the resistor in each personality card to bring the loading up to 1Kohms to more match my Benz LPS.

This has worked a treat and my vinyl rig is singing now!

Needs a few hundred hours for the Boulder 1008 to run but the sound is at least at the Herron level now but with a much quieter background.

Cheers.