Bought Some Music Friday

I made my semi-annual visit to Princeton Record Exchange on Friday and picked up some new vinyl. On a whim I grabbed the new Boxstar Records "Julie London" LP. Two 45RPM LP's beautifully pressed. If you like femaile vocals it doesn't get much better than this. While the recording sounds vintage 1950s (the bass, and to a lesser degree the guitar, are not as well captured as on most modern recordings) her voice is as present and real as any recording I've EVER heard. Wow. The whim continued as I grabbed the new MFSL Sinatra "For the Lonely" (or something like that--I'm at work!) Again, Nelson Riddle's Orchestra sounds much better on the more modern Linda Ronstadt LP's from the 1980's but Frank's voice is remarkably clear, nuaunced and real. So, if you like vocal recordings I would strongly recommend these to you. I also got two Neil Young LP's--the new releases from the NY Archives project--Harvest and After the Gold Rush. I've only gotten around to playing ATGR and it was not terribly impressive. I've got a nice German pressing of this LP that easily competes with this remaster "from the original analogue tapes". Not that it sounds bad, but simply not a mind blowing improvement over the copy I already own. I still have a few more to hear from the pile (Elvis Costello "My Aim Is True" and "The Cars" on MFSL so next weekend should be fun. Enjoy!
dodgealum

Showing 1 response by buconero117

Curious, how much did you spend? When I go to Princton I can't get out the door for less then $500.