Bose question

I’m looking to expand my home theater by adding 4 atmos speakers. I was looking for a cheap solution as I don’t think these channels need to be up to par with the rest of the speakers. 
Would it be possible to add Bose acoustimass cubes to my conventional AVR? 
If this isn’t possible or advisable, what would be a good alternative ? I’m looking for something small and decent looking, will be in my living room. 
System consists of Vienna acoustics speakers, Rel, and NAD T778 AVR. 
ei001h

Showing 3 responses by mahler123

In the OP situation, what does Vienna Acoustics manufacture in terms of rears and Atmos?
I have two 5.1 systems in my home, and I don't do Atmos.  From what I have read Atmos speakers have their drivers angled in a different manner than conventional speakers, as they are trying to bounce sound around ceilings and walls and are assumed to be originating from a ceiling, so any conventional speakers, Bose or not, may not work as intended.
   Bose prejudices aside, I think if possible it helps to have the same speaker manufacture for surround sound, as most Speaker manufacturers have a 'house" sound.  Our living room system sounded great but my wife objected to ur Living Room looking like an AV emporium.  Out went the floor standers, the rears that had been on stands become the fronts were placed on new built ins, and the new rears became in walls.  Since the speaker manufacturer for the fronts and center didn't make in walls, I had to go with a different manufacturer, and it's fine with video but when I listen to music I can really note the discontinuity.  My basement 
5.1 system are all the same manufacturer and I much prefer listening to surround sound music there.
My feeling is no, for the reasons expressed above.  The discontinuity in timbre can be jarring.