Bose 901

Hi folks, what is your opinion about the Bose 901? Can it competes with the high end speakers which are frequently mentioned here, like Wilson, Thiel, Revel, B&W, etc.? Please try to be objective and try not to be driven by some prejudice towards the marque.
dazzdax

Showing 2 responses by nsgarch

I was a student at MIT when Amar Bose (a professor there) introduced the 901. My audiophile friends and I agreed then (and still do) that the direct/reflecting idea is basically flawed, because both the direct and reflected sound of the instruments/vocalist at the original venue have already been recorded on the source medium (CD, tape, record) so the introduction of additional reflections just serves to add another layer of "acoustics" that were not on the source material, and can only "muddy" the reproduced performance.

Nice marketing ploy, but lousy audio!

Camino, the garage is a perfect place for your 901s. Actually, I always thought that any kind of public address environment (churches, music stores) was a great use for them. So if you love your 901s then don't let them die. Get new surrounds put on those drivers and they'll live for another 50 years! BTW, the new neoprene surrounds (not available at the time 901s were manufactured) are not susceptable to temperature extremes and rot. Shouldn't cost more than 5 bucks a driver. Well worth it IMO