Bose 901's with "highend ancillaries"??

I STILL see Bose 901's are available here and maybe new after umpteen years in existence and yet I have still never hear a pair (unless you count the occasional high school concert which used the professional version).

Has anyone ever used these with "highend" gear, and if so what was the result??

Just curious if there is actually something good about the speaker other than the marketing the Bose Corporation has done over the years as they have never been inexpensive and even now hold their value pretty well.

And while I ma sure one can do better for the $$$ etc etc I am only looking for comments on how they actually SOUND - strengths and weaknesses
jrinkerptdnet

Showing 2 responses by kartikeyp

Unlike the most on this forum, I'm not an audiophile nor have I heard true reference sound systems (I don't live in North America or Europe). But I do have 20 years old 901 vi. So I'm not getting into if they are audiophile quality or not. But they definitely improved and responded very well with higher quality components. I started using them with HK 80 watt receiver with ordinary CD players and cables. They sounded just good enough then (to me). But since 2012 I've been adding some very good quality components to my audio system ( my amp now is Pass XA 30.5, and Cary preamp). Ive also added a sunfire subwoofer and some good quality interconnects. Very recently I've changed my source to Sony HAP Z1 ES. At each new addition the sound has improved substantially. Clarity in mid range and higher frequencies are far far better then with my old components. I was not getting good improvement in the bass ( hence the addition of subwoofer). Simpler music (jazz, chamber music, simple rock and Indian traditional ) sound amazing. However there's not much of improvement in the complex music. My next change is definitely the pair of speakers, I'm looking at used silverline, Devore, coincident , or the Tannoy prestige line. I'll be buying them without audition. Your Suggestions are welcomed. Thanks
Thanks Analogluvr. Surprised to hear that coincident are lean. But your feedback will be a great help as I am looking at more musical and involving sound. Good to hear you are enjoying Tannoys. Actually out of all the above mentioned speakers, Tannoy is the only brand available in my country. But they are yet to introduce the Prestige series here. I have requested audition for Tannoy DC 10 Ti with a local dealer. I've heard DC 10 Ti sound would be pretty close to prestige series. Although it doesn't have driver with Alnico magnet. Will keep you posted on my experience.