Bose 901

I spent a weekend away listening to these .

What a Moronic review.

http://noaudiophile.com/Bose_901/

ishkabibil
Right. Thanks.Good point. Another one he got wrong. As Eric Alexander has shown with his Tekton line its better to take a bunch of tweeters and make them sound like a midrange.

As I mentioned in my 1st post, I am very familiar with the set up of the 901s, as I was professionally tutored by a Bose staff member, of the delicacies and details of proper set up, and, the importance of a high quality, high output power amplifier to drive them, because of the eq’s boost of bass. They are as critical with room set up, as anything else, to obtain their magic. At the last retail price of $1400., they were fun, fun, fun, and unless you heard them with proper set up ( I truly doubt many of you negative folks heard them optimally set up ), with a " proper reflective " wall behind, and, to the sides of them ( distance from both, based on the listening room and the listener’s position ), you might change your mind, because what they did well, they did extremely well. I remember playing the Sheffield Drum / Track record, through several pair I set up....... Maggies, ML’s, and some other speakers, owned by many of you, wishing, they could do the same, displaying the force, the intensity, the realism, that could be had, through the 901’s ( but you would not know ). My modified and tweaked Lascala’s, can do it ( although, without the radiation pattern of the 901s, preferring my horns). Omni’s, and panel’s, are not for me, as they all display compression, to these ears. I am sorry Ishka, I am done here. Enjoy ! MrD.
Anybody notice how that to some "audiophiles", measurements don't matter if the subject is LP vs. CD, analog vs. digital, tubes vs. solid state?  But if the topic turns to Bose vs...well, anything else, suddenly measurements tell the story!
I’ve listened to 901s, Series IV, properly set up. They are just flat fun to listen to! Very fast, dynamic, detailed, with nice imaging and room fill. Visceral and not fatiguing at all. Enjoyable speakers, with a small footprint. I thoroughly enjoyed them. 65 Watts/ch and I was very satisfied. I actually miss them!
Of course, set-up is important for any speaker. Most speakers aren’t. If speaker X was set up properly it would also be entertaining to listen to. Hel-loo!
@ishkabibil  So glad you never came into my shop.  I guess we did not have a punched "AUDIOPHILE" card or whatever YOU think is RIGHT.

Probably be one of the customers I "fired" each year at xmas.

Pain in the rear, and no, it did not matter HOW MUCH MONEY you had or what you bought.  You were let go from the shop and given a contact at something like Sound Advice or some other pop retailer in our area.

Enjoy the music!

Cheers!
I owned a pair series IIs way back in the day, yes they were setup properly and I thought they sounded great. Sold them.  I now have a pair of series VI that are in my garage facing backwards. It may sound crazy but they sound really good in a 1000 sq ft space that is all concrete and cement block.  And no doesn't sound anything like the main rig. They don't image at all, but they fill that space with bone crushing volume if you desire. Which I do regularly......I don't get out much. \8-).
Ok I admit it.... I owned a pair...  I was 16 and working at Lechmere Sales in the Boston area.  I got a pair of 901 V for super cheap.... they were returned , no box or manuals so my boss let me take them for next to nothing.  Set them up with my Sansui AU 9900 and Sony CDP 101.   

They cranked,  but were so hungry for power I ended up getting a Carver m1.5t amp.  My neighbors threw a lot of parties, so I would just open the windows and crank those suckers....   I used them for a few years then got my first real speakers Paradigm Studio 100s.....  I eventually paired them with an PS Audio 6.1 pre and a pair of B&K M200 Sonata mono amps for my  first decent system.
@barts47, i too had the series 2 i bought new way back. i heard that the series 1 and 2 sounded the best!!
Presented without comment:

The audio equipment retailer Bose said in January that it planned to close 119 stores globally, including all its stores in the US.