Bookshelf Speakers that have to be up against the wall

My very first posting, so be gentle. Looking to upgrade my bookshelf speakers, say to a max of 3k or so. I have an old mcintosh amp and pre. plenty of power. I now have to put my speakers against the wall and the ported ones I have now don’t ‘bloom’ now, they sound a bit muffled - they lost most of their imaging. I think because they are ported in the back also aside from being against the wall. I’d like to hear from anyone who has had that problem and recommendations from those with knowledge of solving this issue.
128x128deadhead1000
actually, no....a careful read of my statement about tailoring the polar  response IS not about voicing, its about managing the. amplitude of those early refllections. IF they are down significant db it js the same as being out in the room 3-5’...just physics...

I can stellar image depth with. Vandersteen Treo out 20” from the wall (tweeter to wall) because they are designed for that....of course they get better at 3’ but ...... 
stop by the studio someday and hear the depth of.  image possible out of soffit mounted  set of constant directivity monitors....maybe not mastering quality but fine....for sure...

also see this month’s Stereophile for a review of “ image champs” and a designer who knows how to pull that off...
Lots of good info, thanks. I own Totem Rainmakers and they sounded excellent until I had to put them close to the wall. I will look into all the suggestions. 
1. get the height so they produce sound, especially highs, at seated ear level if possible.

2. add a subwoofer. filter out the low bass to the sub before it goes to the bookshelf speakers so they do not try to produce too much bass.

3. find the best location for the sub that is acceptable. Not too much from the sub, just enough that you notice if it is off.
We have installed many Vandersteen VLR CTs, Treo CTs, and full range Quatros right up against the wall.
Many 3 inches out from the wall. Their unique driver system, low diffraction grill is a trick that allows these to image beyond comprehension.
 The power response within this close wall positioning with all of these speakers is remarkable.  Best JohnnyR Vandersteen dealer