Bookshelf Speakers that have to be up against the wall

My very first posting, so be gentle. Looking to upgrade my bookshelf speakers, say to a max of 3k or so. I have an old mcintosh amp and pre. plenty of power. I now have to put my speakers against the wall and the ported ones I have now don’t ‘bloom’ now, they sound a bit muffled - they lost most of their imaging. I think because they are ported in the back also aside from being against the wall. I’d like to hear from anyone who has had that problem and recommendations from those with knowledge of solving this issue.
128x128deadhead1000

Showing 6 responses by tomic601

stop by the studio someday and hear the depth of.  image possible out of soffit mounted  set of constant directivity monitors....maybe not mastering quality but fine....for sure...

also see this month’s Stereophile for a review of “ image champs” and a designer who knows how to pull that off...
actually, no....a careful read of my statement about tailoring the polar  response IS not about voicing, its about managing the. amplitude of those early refllections. IF they are down significant db it js the same as being out in the room 3-5’...just physics...

I can stellar image depth with. Vandersteen Treo out 20” from the wall (tweeter to wall) because they are designed for that....of course they get better at 3’ but ...... 
@georgehifi  yes! I had two pair of Sara and a pair of Index. The Sara in particular are a fantastic rock speaker
But in general the astute speaker designer can design a great sounding speaker for near wall placement by altering polar response, the crossover, the placement of the tweeter and as Eric importantly noted the filter network, will it ever get to the Millercarbon ideal of 3-5’ out into the room ? Maybe... really depends on many variables, including how the ear brain works. A really nice floor stander w pretty good imaging is the Nordic Larson and as I mentioned Vandersteen, there are others.
Vandersteen VLR signature- crossover, drivers, cabinet designed for close mounting to wall, starting with coaxial driver.