Bookshelf speakers for near-field (desktop) use

I am looking for a decent pair of new/used bookshelf speakers for near-field / desktop use. I plan to use this with my PC as the source. The speakers would go into a fairly small room but in the future, I may use these as a bedroom setup so it would be nice to have them be capable for both. 

I can power the speakers with either a PS Audio Sprout100, Anthem MRX510 or something I may buy in the future. I don't want to spend a ton on an amp to drive these speakers though. Budget is around $2,000. Just looking for great sound. I'm not a bass head so that's not a huge priority but the fuller the range in sound, the better. 

A few speakers that I have considered are: 

• Buchardt S400 - Are they appropriate for desktop use though? 
  • KEF LS50 Passive - Used I can find one for around $800 or just buy new for ~$1,000
  • KEF LS50 Wireless - Good reviews, but about the same price as the Buchardt's

freesole
@seasdiamondUnfortunately the Ref 1 would be a bit outside my budget but the R3 is right in my wheelhouse. Not sure how they would perform near field but I would be able to return them if I don't like them so that is another consideration. 
I believe you can buy kef r3 at best buy magnolia which has 14 day return policy. They also sell kef ls50/lsx/ls50w so u can certainly compare them directly at home if you wanted.
Wharfedale Denton, quite a balanced speakers for near field and mid field, save the money for a powerful amp ready to drive your speakers
3 votes already for the Denton - sounds like a popular, affordable desktop speaker. I'll have to look into this... 
@seanheis1 Another good candidate. Reviews so far seem to think that the LS50 Wireless is an overall better speaker though (though it is more expensive). The LS50W would scale up better for future uses as well.