Bookshelf speakers for $500ish

I'm looking to upgrade my Dynaco A25s to something more compact and modern.

They will be amplified by Marantz 2238B, and I'll be listening to acoustic jazz such as Bud Powell or Miles Davis- a lot of piano trios and small groups with horns.

The room is 10' x 12', and I won't be able to mount them on stands, or be more than a few inches from the back wall.

Budget is $500 or so. I like the idea of buying used, but I'm not up for a very long hunt. New options I'm considering are KEF Q300, B&W 685 S2.

Thanks for your help!
tmcevoy213

Showing 2 responses by akg_ca

i've had the DYNACOS and had/have the REGA R1s (now the RS1s) in a prior B system/current surrounds in my HT kit

The REGA bookshelves smoked the DYNACOs .... full stop IMO.

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak121305.shtml

The Rega R1 Loudspeaker - A New Budget Reference
December 2005

"....Immediate impressions are a clear and transparent portrayal with very high detail retrieval, fast and controlled transient response, and superb musical timing, both in articulating rhythms and tempi, and in placing instruments within the temporal flow and context of the performance. The RR125 is an outstanding mid/bass driver, sonically and musically right in line with the midrange performance of Rega’s amplifiers and phono cartridges. Get the midrange right and everything else will fall into place. Get it wrong, and all the king’s horses…

The Rega R1 becomes my new budget reference speaker. In addition of its ability to get the fundamentals of music right, it adds clarity and resolution, and an ability to lay out a vivid and coherent 3-dimensional stereo image. In small room applications, what more could you want?..."
"....4-24-15: Seikosha
For all those recommending rear ported speakers for a person who is going to back them against the wall, have you heard the speakers you are recommending in that position..."

yes

The REGA bookshelves are designed to perform placed up against a wall. They even have their own wall mounting brackets available.