Bookshelf Speaker for vintage Marantz 2230

I'm currently running a pair of Boston Acoustics A100 speakers through a Marantz 2230. I'm looking to upgrade to a budget and modern hifi setup and have been looking at several integrated amps (rotel 1062, music hall a.25, etc) and several bookshelf speakers (era d4's, b&w 685's, paradigm 20's, dynaudio audience 52's). However, I can really only afford one thing at a time. To start, I'm thinking of upgrading the speakers. Any recommendations on running some bookshelf speakers ($400-$800) with the Marantz 2230? I like the warm sound of the Marantz and mostly listen to vinyl (rock, punk, jazz, and old country). Any thing I should consider?
ds4000

Showing 1 response by rar1

I used a Marantz 2240 in a bedroom system for a number of years and went through no less than 6 pairs of budget bookshelf speakers with the Marantz over that time. I thought that the best pairings were the NHT SB2 and the Rega Ara. The worst pairings were EPOS ELS3 and B&W 302.

With all that said, I would be looking at NHT Classic 3 or Rega R1. I would probably add Spendors to that list, as well.

Regards,

Rich