Bluesound Node 2i vs Raspberry Pi SQ

I'm looking for the best sound quality and music server function under 500. Basically I want to be able to use my phone, tablet and PC as a remote to control FLAC files on an external hard drive. Streaming for youtube or Netflix would be nice, but I don't have a streaming service. 

Are there any R Pi solutions that can compete with the 2i on sound quality? Or Raspberry Pi + an external DAC? 

Also, is it possible to control either via foobar? That's my go to so far with my laptop. 
stuff_jones
@usery THanks for the pretty thorough response. 

I'm guessing you meant "...use my phone, tablet and PC as a remote to control [the playback of] FLAC files [stored] on an external hard drive".

Correct.

Is the Bluesound 2i sound quality any good? Compared to what?

Well from what I read, compared to a stand alone DAC in the same price range. I read somewhere its not worth adding a stand alone DAC unless you're willing to spend upwards of 1k. FWIW.

I'm not particularly DIYy, but if its a one time thing that a reasonably smart person can do and that will bring down the cost of great SQ multiple hundreds of dollars, I can be dabble in DIY. How stable is the RPi stuff? Is it just do it once and enjoy the music or crashing and tweaking ad infinitum?How reliable is the hardware? And how long should getting the whole thing up and running take someone with no experience?

@stuff_jones,

Both my RPi builds have been stable including the new one (Orchard Audio ApplePi DAC). For those of us with other more compelling interests, it’s a do-it-once-and-enjoy thing.

There is some fiddly computer tech, OS and network interaction needed for initial setup. Smart, open-to-new-adventure person with gumption but no experience can get it done in 1-3 days, depending on how long your days are.

Tons of guides and support out on the forums, finding/reading of which is part of the several hours - and the fun ; ). For many, experiences like this have a way of keeping one young, and resilient, and always learning.

Are you on Android and Windows, and what’s your home network setup?

Some intel on DAC chips:

Looks like the BS Node 2i has a single TI/Burr-Prown PCM5122 in its DAC circuit. That’s the same chip as the $40 HifiBerry DAC+ Pro.

The $200 ApplePi DAC has dual PCM1794A’s, and sounds dramatically better than the HifiBerry DAC+ Pro. No surprise given the respective DAC circuits. Is it 5x better-sounding than the HifiBerry? To my ears, a resounding yes.

Read all about TI/Burr-Brown audio dac chips here. Especially notice price differences across the various models.
@usery 

I've got an iPhone and a PC. I'm probably going to buy an android tablet. No home network yet - I'm just moving so I'll be starting from scratch. What type of router should I be looking for? Just one that I can plug a hard drive into?

Thanks for the info on chips. But isn't implementation more important (as important?) as the chip itself?

What about the Katana 1.2? That's priced similarly to the ApplePi - have you heard it?
@stuff,

"What type of router should I be looking for?"
Start with whatever router your telco gives you. Router is in bottom-half of list of things to optimize later. I currently run a gigabit-ethernet FIOS router that Frontier gave me. If telco makes you pay for a router, compare prices then consult Archimago’s blog to see what he did. I trust him, on all matters computer audio and more broadly for his objective, clear-headed take on ’audiophile’ industry and equipment rife with snake-oil, bullsh!t and "manufactured consent".

"Just one that I can plug a hard drive into?"
Nope - no stand-alone HD will do that. At minimum must be in an enclosure with network controller, lil’ bitty bus and rudimentary primary controller for I/O to & from disc, across the bus and in/out the network adapter. Like everything else one can spend too much money on such thingz ... entire companys’ raison détres are stand-alone NAS devices.

You have a PC, with a hard drive, and you will have a router and LAN. So your PC becomes your NAS when you plug it into the router. Any additional stand-alone HD’s will have to plug into the computer (or, the RPi if you go that route). Take it one step at a time (or two), read Archimago, and be ready for lots of unfounded crap about this-n-that you need to buy for ’audiophile’ networked audio.

"...isn’t implementation more important (as important?) as the chip itself?"
Yes, to a degree. DAC chip itself is both indication of level of investment in implementation and a limiting element in overall performance. A crappy analogy: Porsche doesn’t put the VW Touareg engine in the Cayenne SUV, though the two share frame, doors, base electrical etc.

"What about the Katana 1.2?"
Haven’t heard it, don’t need to at this time, so far totally satisfied with ApplePi DAC. Especially see this informal monthly RPi DAC 'shoot-out' in Hamburg, where ApplePi is consistently a favorite (along with the Katana THD version).

@useryI 

I appreciate the help, and Archimago's blog.

I'll probably go with the Bluesound Node 2i first since I'm impatient to hear my first nice system. I'll look at a Raspberry Pi DAC as my first upgrade when/if the itch strikes, or when I'm simply curious to do something hands on like that.