BlueSound Node 2i > RME ADI2 DAC > NAD 316 BEE v2 > Dali Rubicon 5 (volume too high)

Hey guys,

This might be a silly question but I'd really appreciate if you can help me understand this issue or the lack thereof.

Listed above is my system/chain. I have 3 units with pre-amp (Node, RME DAC and NAD amp).  So what should the volume on my Node and RME Dac if I want the NAD to be the main control?

Currently, I have it at Full Volume (0 db) on the Node and RME.  However, I can't seem to go past 9 o clock position on my NAD or it simply gets too loud.

Is this normal?  If so, I don't think I'll ever need a more powerful amplifier?  I am able to drive a pair of Dali Rubicon 5s (considered power hungry) with this entry level NAD.  I was considering upgrading the amp but wonder if it would make any difference at all?  
prashanth13485
@oddiofyl 
You will be surprised how much better the RME is over your Vault... it’s not even close but it’s only going to be as good as the cables you use. Right out the box the RME sounded great. 
RME claims changing the power supply will not make a difference but I contacted Teddy Pardo and they have sold their PS to RME owners and they state it does indeed improve things so I ordered.one and can’t wait to hear for myself. Will report my findings when it shows up.

Congratulations on your purchase as you’re buying a great little DAC. It’s a complex unit but I run min as a DAC only with everything set to fix so no volume, Eq, tone control, loudness, and etc. If you haven watched the videos on RME’s website for setup I would recommend that as well.
I'm currently using a NAD M51 which is pretty good , I'm on the fence whether to sell it.  I think I'm just going to keep it for the heart of a 2.1 system in my tv room in the near future
I started digesting the manual... this thing is incredible.  I mainly bought this for its feature set and its ability to apply crossfeed to my headphone amp.   I also bought it on the advice of several people in pro audio circles that had direct experience with RME dacs.

Hopefully it's not a lateral move, the NAD is a great sounding DAC, but its dated.  I love gadgets so this unit should keep me busy playing with all of its features.
Recently received my Teddy Pardo power supply for my RME and all I can say is WOW. RME claims changing out the PS that comes with the unit will add no benefit which is nonsense. I reached out to TP before ordering and they said they have sold their supplies to RME owners and it will indeed make a difference and indeed it did.

I do not find the RME to be bright but I would agree it is very transparent and would not fool anyone to have a tube output stage, but the Teddy Pardo has definitely warmed things up a bit. The RME already has great bass but now there’s more meat on the bones. I’d say the bottom end is digging a little deeper too.

PRaT is probably what I’m getting that the factory SPS didn’t deliver as the sound is definitely fuller and I will just say this thing boogies now. The Teddy is fast and punches with authority. With both the Teddy and the factory PS I have them plugged into my PS Audio P5 power regenerator so I wasn’t expecting much of a change but there is.

As mentioned earlier I never found the RME bright or clinical as some have noted. The RME is very transparent and I suppose if ones system is bright or thin sounding then the RME is not going to fix that. If one owns a RME and wants a fuller sound, more meat and maybe that’s what is warming things up, then consider the Teddy Pardo power supply. Adding the Teddy will take a great DAC and push it to the next level. 
The manual doesn’t really note much, as dah... it’s just a power supply. What is nice is they call out the fuse size and the mention there is a burn in time. I have very little time on my Teddy so I’m looking forward to hearing what is to come. From Israel to the US took about two weeks and was under $400. I appreciate RME has a lot of confidence in their product but to claim changing out the PS will not change or improve the sound is not accurate. Highly recommended.
I am really digging this DAC !!!   It is awesome.    

For the OP.    If the RME output is set to Auto Ref Output  I believe you are getting unity gain at 0.0 dB on the volume reading and not -15 dB that is on the output setting 

Check that it is set to disable and hopefully gain will be normal