Bluesound Node 2

I'm a complete newbie in the digital space, not counting CD players of course. I'm also on a path to upgrade my system from other various angles, mostly preamp and speakers. All that said, I'm currently using a Bluesound Node 2 with a hifi Tidal subscription. No computer files or hardwired USB connections. My first question is where does Bluesound fit in the digital wireless streaming quality hierarchy. And a related question is what would be a good upgrade path, again assuming only wireless streaming as the source. I see a lot of high end DACs out there, some several thousand dollars and wonder if those are only used for connection to a laptop and running computer hirez files, etc. Not a whole lot about wireless streaming. All in all, some guidance in the digital wireless streaming space would be appreciated. Thanks.
128x128kalali
I compared the Oppo 105--and perhaps you are not interested in that-to the Bluesound Vault 2, which I believe has the same DAC chip as the Node 2.  The Oppo is better but it was subtle.  Presumably the 205 would widen that gap a bit.
it should be noted that the price difference between the Oppo 205 and the Node 2 is almost a grand.  If you don't need the other functionality of the Oppo, I know which way my wallet would lean...
gdhal - also, assuming the UDP-205 uses the same DAC and streamer as the Sonica DAC, the UDP-205 may lack gapless playback, like the Sonica.  This can be addressed with a software upgrade via the net, but so far, I don't see such an update coming from Oppo.  Also, if you are going to rely on the Oppo's streaming capabilities, you may want to compare the Oppo streamer UI to that of the Node 2.  I don't even know if the UDP-205 offers a phone app controller for streaming like the Node 2 does.
Thank you @mahler123  and  @bondmanp

I already have the UDP-205 and am quite happy with it. I'm just curious as to the Node 2 as it may sound different, given that it has a different DAC. The UDP205 uses an ESS Sabre 9038 pro dac and I believe the Node 2 uses a Burr Brown PCM5122.

By the way, the UDP205 does play gapless.

I'm not all that interested in streaming, but am not dismissing that option either. From what I read the Blue Sound may be better in that department. 

Here is one downside of the Node 2 compared to the UDP205. If I insert a USB flash memory stick in the Oppo, and it only has flac or wav files at the root level folder, I *can* select and play those files without any video interface. In the case of the Node 2, their tech support responds "You will need to select which file you want to start the playing with on our BluOS app whether it is on Android, Windows or MacOS and once that is done you can use the hardware buttons on the Node 2 to start playback, skip songs, change the volume etc."

If I were to purchase the Node 2 no doubt I would have some redundancy in my system from a source perspective. But at the affordable price point of the Node 2, it has me thinking "why not".
I also own a Bluesound system.....also started out the  vault 2 and Node 2 for my living room.  Plans are to add a power Node 2 for the3 season porch on the desk (will also cover the deck itself, a Pulse 2 (to move around when needed and another Node 2 to connect the 2 channel system in my main listening room in the basement.My "take" on the Bluesound is it is a very well designed whole house wireless music system.  How the sound quality is pretty good but does depend on what type of music files one uses.  It pretty much took me all of last winter and into early spring to "digitize" my whole music collection (vinyl LP's  approx 600 LP's, my CD collection 2490 CD's).into FLAC files.
Bluesound make it a alot more easier to locate & play an album or a track. with  pretty good sound quality but I still use my main music play back system in the basement for my "serious" listening (LP's & CD's).  I will say I have not ventured into high rez music files yet and at tis point do not know if I ever will with 44,000 + music tracks in the system I think I am pretty well set now......LOL.  But do want to say I am more than happy with the Bluesound system being my first venture into wireless music systems and will also state that any serious music listener/fan should own one.
I also use a Node 2 as an only source in a bedroom system to stream Tidal (MQA whenever available) directly to my amp from my router.  Same or similar setup as the OP appears to use.  I too am extremely impressed.  SQ is better than streaming through an Oppo 105 or other digital sources that I have also tried.

I also am very interested to see (hear) if anyone has used an outboard DAC to improve the sound quality from the DAC built into the Node.  None of the previous responses seem to address the OP's original question.  If anyone has had any luck with an outboard DAC, please let us know which one(s) you have tried and what the improvements have been.  Also, does anyone know if you can connect the Node to transmit the necessary 192 signal for MQA?  My understanding is that the Node would unfold the MQA and then an outboard DAC could be used to improve SQ. Is that accurate?