Bluesound Node 2 as DAC for CD player?

Hey y'all,

I recently picked up a Bluesound Node 2 and have to say I am extremely happy with my purchase. Prior to this, I was streaming Tidal via Bluetooth to my Rotel RDD-1580 and have to say the Node 2 is superior in every way.

With this said, I'm contemplating the necessity of the Rotel DAC. If I'm streaming 99% of time and only occasionally want to spin a CD, couldn't I use the optical out on my CD player and the optical in on the Node and do away with the Rotel?

Thanks!

Joe

128x128audionoobie
Good grief ...Bluetooth is definitely not for audiophile streaming ... why bother with Tidal at all....
The only way to connect an external device, other than a thumb drive, to a Node2 is using a mini-optical/stereo minijack. No Toslink or coax inputs. There's also no selector switch. The unit is not intended to be used as a DAC. The Ayres Codex is an option only if your CDP has an optical output since it doesn't have an RCA coax input.
audionoobie, This is an edited quote from an Audiostream review of the Node 2:

" The company includes a Toslink Optical to 3.5mm mini adapter in the package."

Read more at https://www.audiostream.com/content/bluesound-node-2#mm4ZgiGQAL3HMXeu.99

Also, you can purchase a Toslink out to Toslink/3.5mm in cable. I don’t know for sure, but if the Node 2 has a Toslink/3.5mm input, there is probably a way to select it for playback. Why else would it be there?

If you can find the adapter and have a Toslink cable give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
I don’t know for sure, but if the Node 2 has a Toslink/3.5mm input, there is probably a way to select it for playback. Why else would it be there?
The "Optical Input" or "Analog Input" option is only seen on the main screen once the appropriate cable is plugged into the Node 2. I use an Apple TV (gen 3) this way with the Node 2.