Blue Ray Quality with a 1080i / 720p HDTV?

As I understand it the new Blue Ray system is based on 1080p for its advancement in picture quality.

I have a few years old Sony 60" LCD that outputs 1080i or 720p ,but, NOT 1080p.
I should state that the picture quality with my present equipment with Hi Def sources is great.

I am sort of interested in a Blue Ray player. The Player cost seem reasonable, but I am still on the fence about the cost of the Blue Ray discs.

I have never received a straight answer as to the video improvement with my present equipment using a Blue Ray player and Blue Ray discs from the adolescences who work at the local Electronics stores.

So, here are the 2 questions...

1. Will there be any Video improvement with using a Blue Ray player and Blue Ray discs with equipment that cannot output 1080 P?

2. If there is an improvement is it 90% 50 % 25% or whatever?

Thanks,
ozzy
128x128ozzy

Showing 2 responses by kennyt

Ozzy,

Does your TV look better on say the Discovery channel HD vd regular?

I bet it does.

Now consider that blu-ray has far less compression to the video signal (audio too but that is another issue) and you will quickly see that yes, you will see an improvement, at least on par with the example I gave you, and actually a bit better.

As for the second question, compare it yourself and see, for me it's a huge difference and worth every cent.
Ozzy,

If you troll Amazon you'll be able to get many good titles for ~$18, at least that has been my average over the last two years.

I sort of stopped buying them as Netflix rents them, so does BB but not as many are there.

UncleJeff,

SD DVD is 480i, many players will deinterlace the signal, but it's still 480i.....