Blue Circle BC3 vs. McIntosh C2200?

Has anyone compared these similarly priced components?

Any thoughts on their differences, beyond ease of use..?
jlipinsky

Showing 1 response by budrew

This seems like an odd comparison, but I've done it, though not directly. I've had both. I first had the BC3 paired with a BC28 hybrid amp. This was a great setup, but I was missing some dynamics and bottom end. The dealer thought the BC28 would be better paired with an SS preamp and recommended the BC103. I never tried the BC103 because the dual volume controls on the BC gear was a problem for my wife (I also ultimately prefer a single volume control). I eventually sold the BC gear and moved back to Mcintosh. I now have the C2200 and MC2102 tube amp. This is a great combination. It's more dynamic than the BC combination with better bass. The C2200 definitley has the edge in features. I use the mono switch on some older recordings. I would probably go back and say the C2200 is more dynamic than the BC3. However the BC3 has been upgraded to Mk2 since I heard it and the newer version is more dynamic, or so they say.

However, I really like the BC gear and I still have the CS integrated in my home office which i plan to someday upgrade to the BC24 hybrid amp and BC21 6sn7 preamp.

If you can demo them both. it could be a close race (unless features are important to you).