Blu Ray Player

Hi all!

I am new to the blu ray world. I just bought a receiver that has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD. So does that mean if I buy a blu ray player, it needs to have DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD built in decoder as well? I just want to find a blu ray player that will handle DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD for my receiver.

Also, when I buy a blu ray movies, do I need to make sure that it has DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD?

Also, what are some good quality blu ray players? I was looking at brands like:

- Samsung
- Sony
- Pioneer
- Philips
- Magnavox
- Panasonic
- Sharp
- LG

Thanks for any advice!!!
mantaraydesign

Showing 3 responses by nguyen357

There's the most important piece of information missing here, your TV. Does your TV/LCD/PLASMA can displayed at least 1080p? or it's just a waste of money with Blu-Ray players. All the sounds that your Receiver can provide, any Blu-Ray players can do at least that and even more. The pictures quality only as good as your TV can be.
I just looked that up, your Projection TV displays 1080i. Which is a tad under the Blu-Ray requirement. If you're not ready to upgrade your TV to LCD or Plasma, I said, get a high quality DVD player, as you can see their prices really gone under since Blu-Ray players came out. With your current TV, that will put on quite a nice display for standard DVD movies.
No, you're not wrong Al, of course all Blu-Ray disks played into 720p/1080i, but you're not fully utilized the pictures quality of the neither the Player or the disk. When you have a chance to watch a Blu-Ray disk at 1080p, you can go back and make the comparison yourself. My whole idea is, when you're going to purchase something expensive, but not be able to utilize it's potentials, then why waste money on it?