blu-ray coaxial outputs limited rez to dacs?

I have not been here so long I forgot my login!  Anyway, is it impossible to get the hi rez audio from a typical blu ray on the coaxial audio output?  Got ahold of a Pure Audio blu ray disc of music.  Supposed to be 24/96 format.  My player is putting out only 16/48 into the dac according to the dac display.  So I went into player menu and made sure the "downsampling"  selection was in the off position.  Still, only the lower rez data showing up into the dac.  So does that mean I would need a mega bucks blu ray to get the actual hi rez or what?  The dac oversamples it up before decoding but is supposed to be happy to accept stuff up to 192/24 I think.
w8aaz
If you have the Oppo BDP-93 or BDP-103, another option is the Audiopraise Vanity HD card. It's a little pricey at $849, but it replaces all your analog outs with digital outs that offer the full resolution digital tracks from Blu-ray discs. There's a version that even does DSD over PCM for SACDs.

http://audiopraise.com/vanityhd/overview.php
Not having high hundreds or thousands available right now to guy yet another box for my system I thought I would be clever.  Saw a little bitty box on ebay that supposedly takes the HDMI out of the bluray and extracts  24/196 to coaxial or toslink outputs.  And runs off a USB port so I had to buy a little tiny USB walwort thinggee too. But the total expenditure was about 20$ maybe.  So I tried it all today.  Seems I can get either 16/192 or 24/48 by what I select on the player menu but not 24/192 data stream.  Or even 24/96 which the disc is supposed to be.  From observing the input rate display on the DAC. Oh well, best cut my losses,  find a buyer for a hardly used disc, and perhaps get my vinyl source back into the mix despite some inconvenience of setting it up.
I have an Oppo 105 I my two channel system.  I play many Blu Rays using the analog outs and the sound is great. Until I read this thread I never realized that BDP do not output high Rez via digital outputs.

The Vanity HD is the only thing I'm aware of that will output in native resolution any source. Including SACD/DSD