Blindfold test

Has anyone ever done a blind fold test???
It would be interesting to see (that is Hear) if anyone has done this. I have done them in the past with electronics with great results. When I narrowed down my electronics the sound was the sell and not the "brand/look/expense. I have noticed that I will naturally go to the more expensive because $$ should mean better. It would be interesting to find out if after all the blindfold tests that Zip ocrd would win (joke....maybe). Remember the blindfold beer taste tests?? I did this with a group of friends and the better beer was not the most expensive or european. It turned out to be Yengling a mid state Penna beer. Who'd a thunk.
Comments welcome.
richnus

Showing 1 response by krycek0074

I think that there are plenty of guys around here that care more about testing while blind, than they do just enjoying the music. Many also seem quite interested in NOT hearing differences, while "blind". Just my opinion. I've found that it's more important to learn to be happy with your system as is, than to constantly try to "improve" it. Actually improving performance, in the areas you want, is very hard and time consuming. It will drain your savings account dry, too.

It's much better to enjoy what you have. A friend of mine was driving himself crazy for a while. He'd be elated one night, and frustrated the next, all because some recordings would sound terrific to him, while others would make him think something was wrong with the sound. It frustrated me too, because nothing I said seemed to make any difference.

I mean, I go through periods where I feel like, if I could just buy so and so, the sound might be better in some way. Then I audition it, and it doesn't get better, it just gets different. It even usually gets worse, overall. This hobby can be a serious thing, an obsession. There's an old saying from the Good Book, "all things in moderation".

It's a shame that this hobby flys in the face of such an ideal. Sometimes, you have to take stock, I guess.