Black Ash.....

...is the speaker finish that never should have been allowed to escape the bowels of hell. It is the parkay floors of speaker finishes.

Black Ash is the universal declaration of "cheap-#ssed speakers" or, even worse, if chosen as the finish on even a relatively expensive or quality speaker, it’s the sign that the purchaser has lost his mind or was likely wearing cargo shorts, socks and sandals at the time of purchase.

Where do you stand on this?

You are either with me or against me.

prof
For some reason, strange to me now black (vinyl or veneer) was the colour of my first 3 speakers. In fact most of my Hi-Fi was in black, apart from the NAD stuff I started with. It just never occurred to me that other options were viable.

Then one day about 15 years ago I underwent a radical change of heart. All of a sudden I wanted my environment to be more friendly with more reflected light. This shift in outlook was complete when I developed a yearning for a more organic look in loudspeakers. Wood grain was no longer ugly to my eyes.

Then all of a sudden cherry, light oak, mahogany, white ash etc all started to look good. Even walnut became preferable to black.

Electronics in chrome, silver, or best of all gold became infinitely preferable to the standard black. So much so that I now feel that the best way to listen might be to have the equipment disappear or fade into the background (white) as much as possible to reduce distracting effects.

I know you can do a similar thing by drawing the curtains and turning down the lights in the evening but that's a bit of a hindrance in the day.
@big_greg

All I could do is laugh as I looked over my sea of black ash speakers, subwoofers, and about 3 dozen flat black record crates.

We can't be friends.

But hey, at least I've got wood paneling in my house, that must count for something on the classy scale.

Oak?

^^^  Another traitor to taste.   Please stop encouraging manufacturers.;-)

Due to a host of mental conditions, many of them criminal, I can only live in a room with pressed wood paneling adorning the walls.

So, for me, black ash is perfect.