Bill Chinook / Bruce Springsteen

Has anyone ever heard Bruce Springsteen mention Bill Chinook? Bill was a "founder" of early E Street Band w/ some members joining up w/ Bruce's band. He was making that Asbury sound before Bruce, but I have never heard "the Boss" mention him. I may be partial to him because he settled up here in Maine way back in the 1970's and played often in the bars and dance halls. And released a couple excellent albums, Dime Store Heroes is one of my favorites.
128x128thepigdog

My post partially quoted by Cleeds was removed because I used a bad word. Here it is with a less naughty word substituted.

That's it Loomis---The E Street Band doesn't swing! Look at the drummer; he sits straight up, like the stick (no pun intended ;-) up his rear (that's what his playing sounds like) extends all the way up his back.

at least when mr. trump is annointed we'll be able to discourse freely without fear of such rigid censorship
Really?! It's music if you don't like his music whether it's because of his politics or you don't relate, appreciate or dislike the quality don't listen to it. You don't like the show change the channel. There's a lot of music I don't like. I don't feel it necessary to let everyone know what I don't like. On the other hand if I hear something I do like I'd rather share that information. The idea that our musicians and artists need to be republicans or democrats is nauseating. Do we really want to stifle creativity and self expression that much. Personally I think Springsteen is one of the best songwriters in the last 60 years. He's probably second only to Dylan and in the last 20 years he's written a lot better than Dylan. But that's just my opinion and it means little to anybody else but myself. 

I can't tell you anything about the beginnings of Bill Chinook's career, but i did work with him in the late 80's, providing the PA and mixing his shows that he did up here in Maine. I don't know that I would say we became friends during that time, but it was more than just a business relationship.  Bill lived nearby to me and I would see him at Radio Shack or at the hardware store, and we would always chat for a while.  

Bill was a talented and passionate musician for sure, but honestly I don't think he was on the same level as Springsteen.  He was however, a consummate professional, very demanding of his crew, his fellow band-mates, his producer, and mostly of himself.  He was also gentle and kind to everyone he met, and he really took care of his 'band of brothers' while out on the road.  He gathered quite a following up here in Maine for many years. 

I was fortunate enough to see him perform at one of his last shows and caught him during a break to talk to him about the old times.  He seemed very down and I asked him how things were going.  He just said it isn't like the old days is it?  I had to agree.  I do wish I had followed up with him, in retrospect. 

Greg