Big source improvement using CD player

I borrowed a friend's esoteric dv50s CD player.  I could not believe the difference between it and streaming Spotify premium.  I am now in the market for a CD player.  One thing, the esoteric does not play DVD-R.  Can anyone recommend a comparable CD player in the used market that does? I'm looking in the $800 - $1500 range.  
puffbojie
Would someone please explain the references to "spinning silver"?  From the posts it sounds like people are distinguishing DVD discs from CD's by their silver color, but I've seen CD's with a silver surface, too.  Are the posts trying to say that DVD's inherently have better sound quality than CD's, or am I missing something?
This thread has gotten out of control. You people are animals.  Thanks for all the advice so far.  
Would someone please explain the references to "spinning silver"
Playing CD's that all! 
Post removed 
- Anyone comparing mp3 to CD quality either isn't serious or has never done a straight-up comparison.

- I've got an Oppo 105 that sounds great but why would I ever use it?  My CDs are ripped to AIFF and my SACDs to DSD.  My Brooklyn DAC sounds even better.  I use JRiver but if you want it simple rip it all to FLAC and use Windows' Groove Music app.