Big Mcintosh MC1000 pwr amp s?

comment's from user's on these big mono bloc's.
are the new MC1201's better?
fonsy66

Showing 3 responses by avnut

mac amps spec out great. but sound is lifeless and uninvolving. 2 dimensional sound. bass has no definition and is bloated, very bloated in the bass to midrange area.
the mac mc series is not about music or finesse. they are about specs only. mac cares only about 30 year reliability not true audiophile sound. too bad.
in response to "ljgj". i have listened extensively to the mc602's for about 20 hours on my friends system and at the store. in each case i found the sound slow and boring without any hint of realism. they are not etched true. thats because their dull. the sound is not clean. its dull. you tend to miss a lot of details in the music because of the macs veiled sound. question? why would you create an amp that only "sings" at 300 watts plus? at what point is "anyone" actually using a full all oout 300 watts continuous? maybe some but not most. i really wanted these amps to work with my 801n's but the separation between the layers of sound was not there. almost seemed like a mono sound. i'm keeping my vk1000's because of it. by the way, my dad actually bought the 602. as an audiophile of 30+ years he finds the sound to be very slow. not laid back slow, just slow.
oh yeah. the stereophile review was dead on. the bic macs act like a big bully to your speakers. like a chubby kid tryin to muscle up on an unsuspecting classmate. not iron fisted that amp. probably just sloppy like its lil bro the 602.