Biamping B&W Nautilus 803's

Hi

I need opinions whether if I should Biamp my B&W N803's.
I presently have a Jeff Rowland Model 2 with BPS. I am awaiting shipment of the the Jeff Rowland Concentra I Int. Amp tommarrow. I was thinking of powering the mids/highs with the model 2, and using the concentra's amp section to power the N803's bass section. Is this overkill ? Should I just sell off the model 2 ? Opinions are greatly appreciated...
128x128hchg888

Showing 1 response by rap

While I cannot argue the benefits of defeating the internal crossover and replacing it with an active crossover, I can say that bi-amping using the internal x-overs will work and provides noticeable improvement. Provided, of course, there are two sets of binding posts on each speaker. If this is the case, when disconnecting the "shorting bars", the lower connectors feed through a low pass filter and the upper connectors feed through a hi pass filter. I do this with Dunlavy Cantatas and two Aloia power amps.

I have never tried an external active crossover so I can't state that one is better over the other. One might assume that an outboard, dedicated, more expensive crossover may be better but you can try it using the speaker's filters alone first. Experiment then with the active crossover.

For me, immediate sound stage improvements, more detail resolution in the mid-hi's and more control on the woofer.