Biamping 101

Oh, the pain of being a "newby". I hear arguments for biamping and biwiring, but I question how benieficial - and how safe - the methods are over just buying higher-quality equipment.

I own a Hafler DH-500 amp, and will probably acquire another one in a few days unless someone here gives me a great reason not to - and am considering biamping a used set of PSB Stratus Goldi's or Thiel 2.3's.

I've read some postings about using external crossovers to biamp; are there recommendations on a specific crossover to use?

Also, how do I get the signal from the receiver/preamp to two different amps for the mains? I guess an overview of how the wiring should go would be quite helpful.

Thanks for entertaining and educating the newby.

HC
aggielaw

Showing 1 response by macrojack

Buy the best integrated amp you can afford and a good pair of speaker cables keeping the length as short as convenience and aesthetics will allow. Then sell off the rest of your gear. The speakers you are considering are both very worthy of better amplification than you can get from the Hafler no matter how many of them you apply.
Plinius is a good place to look for ample power and quality sonics at a modest price.
There's a lot to be said for simplicity.