Biamp N802:is 55W tube enough for high/mids?

Hi

Is 55W enough to really drive the mid/tweet? The midrange presents a low impendance load down to 4 ohms.

I normally use 400W to drive these with their complete passive xover. I would still drive bass with 400W but it is difficult to afford triode power much more than 50W.

is that enough?

Call me a power freak I guess.
topher_m

Showing 2 responses by tube_lvr

I strongly suggest that you IGNORE the previous passive characteristics. Let the DEQX do what it does best. A lot of passive crossovers are designed with computer models , then tested and refined in an anechoic chamber and then further fine tuned in a given R&D room. This is to say- It ain't YOUR place.

In contrast, a DEQX has a mic input and full RTA functionality as it relates to YOUR personal listening room. Your room acoustics are taken into account when the DEQX puts the crossover together. That's a HUGE advantage. In addition to that- the DEQX qualifies each driver. What specs may be found for a given driver are done in proprietary labs with proprietary equipment boasting exaggerated results. The DEQX will see the driver for what it really is and make the appropriate compensations (if need be). Then when it's all said and done- the DEQX can put the EQ curve you prefer most on the final result. Most loudspeakers are designed with an end result in mind in terms of linearity. If you prefer a flat response from your speakers- you can get that. Rolled off highs? Inflated mids? Why settle for one? Most recordings benefit from some level of EQ on the playback end. It's all there for you to explore in the parametric EQ presets that can be flipped through on the fly from the remote.

To answer your first question- is 55 watts enough?

In a word "Yes".

remember that you should put some caps on the terminals to avoid any junk from your amp getting to the fragile HF drivers. Just because you are filtering the freq before the amp- the amp may be spitting out small amounts of low freq hum that is NOT being divided by the DEQX. It only takes a little to blow a tweeter. With a cap on the terminals for protection- you will be running them in a pseudo-passive/active configuration. So 55 watts active isn't entirely correct. OTOH, most db output ratings given for a driver are measured at the standard 1 watt/1 meter. A few watts is enough to run you out of the room if it's clean and fully active. 55 watts in your given scenario is enough to blow the cones/diaphragms out of the frame. Be carefull, and BEST of luck. Great piece of gear!

Sounds like fun!

In the past- people have attempted to gather their allstar drivers and stick them in an enclosure and end up with expensive noise. Just like in sports- teams win consistantly when they learn to play together as a TEAM. This is the same with drivers. Put a bunch of allstart drivers together and they will usually cannabilize each other. It takes careful slection, and a refined crossover to get them to sound like proper loudspeakers.

The DEQX units excell at taking an already great loudspeaker and ignoring the passive crossover- thereby letting the DEQX "redesign" it from scratch. You are already using a great selection of drivers that are proven winners with respect to how they play together....as a team. Think of the DEQX as an upgrade in talent and coaching. ;-)

One caveat: it has to be fully utilized. Take the time to study the software and tap into its full potential. To your advantage- support is excellent. I think your biggest aspect of the 'learning curve' will be with the DEQX unit itself. Dial it in and you'll be in heaven, I'm sure.

Keep us posted on your results. I, for one, am very interested.