Bi-wireing speakers

I am curious about Bi-wireing. For many years I have been Bi-amping, I recently moved and have no room for my equipment. I have been reading about Bi-wireing on the web and am confused. All the drawing show two sets of cables coming off either side of the Amp, one set going to the low freq. speaker and one set going to the High Freq. speaker. I would think a 300 Watt Amp could blow a tweeter and you would need some kind of crossover unless they are considering and not showing the speakers internal crossover. What would be the advantage of running two sets of cables to the same terminal on a speaker. Being most cables have their own characteristic I would think that can improve the sound if you had a good match.
128x128thefile
Bi-wiring is a DIRECTIONAL double run of speaker cables terminated “2 - 4 “ ..... single amp to upper and lower speaker posts on each speaker in lieu of a link or jumper connection.

In contrast Bi-amping is separate “2- 2” X 2 ( one full set per separate amp) I.e. 4 - 4 configuration

Shotgunned speaker configuration is a doubled up 4 cable thickness instead of just 2) configured 2 - 2 with a similar short jumper pair linking the upper and lower driver speaker posts on each speaker

Without prejudice that the absolute audio performance benefits are ALWAYS system dependent, a section of the high-end quality build hi-end speaker cable brands are actually moving away from bi-wiring (2 - 4 configuration) in favour of the shotgunned cable runs and jumpers above.

Biamping ... Different story.

E.g. NORDOST

http://www.nordost.com/downloads/NorseJ ... ctions.pdf

CHORD

http://www.chord.co.uk/help-and-informa ... ngle-wire/

".... Many hi-fi and home cinema loudspeakers have two pairs of binding posts. This allows the speaker to be either bi-wired using two sets of loudspeaker cable or bi-amped using two amplifiers.

As a general rule (and there will always be exceptions) we tend to find that bi-wiring will open out the sound stage and increase perceived levels of detail. However, single wiring will often sound the most musically coherent. There is also an issue with single and bi-wire speaker cables. In all the research we have carried out, a single wire speaker cable out-performs a bi-wire cable of equivalent cost. This makes a lot of sense; the single wire speaker cable has two high quality conductors and the bi-wire cable requires four. So for a given budget, we believe that a single wire cable will always out-perform the equivalent bi-wire cable, so much so that we no longer produce dedicated bi-wire cables..."

MY EXPERIENCE

I experimented with various brand bi-wires versus shotgunned in my $40K 2-channel system.

For me, a pair of shotgunned NORDOST Frey’s with their matched FREY shotgunned jumpers bested all comers , single, bi-wire or bi-amped ......full stop. I concur with the mfg articles above ..... The audio performance improvement differences were not subtle IN MY SYSTEM.

in contrast VANDERSTEEN supports bi-wiring speaker arrays ..... So go figger!!!

My integrated is a $15K hi-end, hi-current, 170 WPC into 8 ohms Quality build 60-lb. heavy beast , with massive power supplies. (the WPC output rating is meaningless in isolation) with a vast surplus of “grunt.”.

There is no danger of ever blowing any of my 4-way speaker drivers unless one stupidly inserted a different (cheap) amp driven so hard to the extreme that it starts to clip and thus distort. This is Usually only experienced by fools with cheap build gear and near deafness hearing health but still overkranking out party hard rock at Deafening levels..... and/ or with completely grossly mismatched equipment and speakers)

FWIW

@akg_ca , 
Nice post.
OP, as akg said there is a lot of divergent material on bi wiring speakers.
But, if it didn't do anything, why offer it?
Vandersteen believes it to be a significant improvement. And, using 2 separate runs is the best, most complete way to implement bi wiring.
Just because you are using separate cables doesn't mean your 300wpc amp is going to me more capable of blowing out your speakers.
A 300wpc amp is going to blow out your speaker if you either are over driving the speaker(distortion), or clipping the amp(distortion, too).
If you play music at a reasonable level, you probably aren't using more than a few watts. It is the transients that tax an amplifier to reproduce properly, and those extra 290 or so watts give you headroom to produce an undistorted signal.
B
I recently contacted Vivid Audio and they are moving away from making biwire or biamping available.