bi-amping with Tube and SS amp

Bi-amping question: 

Is it possible to use a tube amplifier to run my HT speakers without disconnecting HT SS amp? 
In other words, can I connect a tube amp to my L R channel using top binding posts and use the tube amp for music. The HT amp will be off but remain connected via bottom posts. 

zory

I have a SS 5 channel amp, am I able to use just 2 channels out of 5 and not cause any damage to the amp ? 

@ei001h 

I have a SS 5 channel amp, am I able to use just 2 channels out of 5 and not cause any damage to the amp ? 

Since most SS amplifier can stay on without load connected to its output, it is perfectly OK to use just 2 channels out of 5.

If the 5 channel SS amp designed with one transformer to power all 5 channels, use just 2 channels the power supply will provide more power reserve than use all 5 channels.

Please explain why this would not work?  If you keep the jumper and connect both amps the speaker will sense the signal from either top or bottom binding post. If OP turns off his SS amp, his speaker will only get signal from the amp that is active.

Most (not all) SS amplifier has relay at the output for delay turn-on and protection. If both tube amp and SS amp are connected to the speaker and only the tube amp is on, it will do no harm to both amp because the SS amp output stage is disconnected by its built-in relay.
When the SS amp is on and the tube amp is off, then the SS amp will see the speaker as a load and also the tube amp output transformer secondary winding parallel to it. That will be bad for both amplifiers, there’s possibility fries the tube amp OPT and damage the SS amp or put it into protection mode.
Even though if the tube amp OPT secondary winding strong enough to stand the current from the SS amp, the speaker will definitely sounded weak with no bass because the inductance of the OPT secondary winding drained most bass energy through it.

Please explain why this would not work?  If you keep the jumper and connect both amps the speaker will sense the signal from either top or bottom binding post. If OP turns off his SS amp, his speaker will only get signal from the amp that is active. 

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I saw a person do this with class D amps. He had the class Ds turned OFF and the the tube gear playing. I heard a high pitched sound and it blew a 20 amp house breaker. The caps in the SS gear charged and BLEW the transformer on the tube gear. Guess whos gear it was?.. MINE...

You have to do what the two gent mentioned above. Dummy loads, I use a 3 position switch. Center is hooked to nothing. I don't trust switches either.. A space between contacts is even better.. 3 position vs 2

Chicken feedin' time

Regards