bi-amping with Mc352 and Mc2102

Does anyone have any thoughts about bi-amping my speakers, B&W N802, with a Mac 352, solid state, 350 watt outpupt on the bottom end and a Mac 2102, tube 100 output, for the mid and upper end? I haven't read much about using both solid state and tube amps together. What are the implications of using 2 amps with different power outputs? I suspect that may be the more troublesome question. I have no problem with the sound I am getting now, but I feel some more power would bring out even more dynamics of the setup.
larryrosen

Showing 1 response by aball

Hi Larry

I have done something very similar - a McIntosh MC7200 SS amp and a Conrad-Johnson MV55 tube amp on my JM Lab Electra 926s. Getting the gain to match is the tricky part but in my case, it ended up working out pretty well. The 7200 has gain controls but I had to max them out and still didn't quite have enough gain to match the CJ. Then I realized I could switch the input sensitivity to 1.4V to get a little more and it turns out, it was just enough.

In your case however, the MC352 and 2102 have neither option so your only chance is that they "happen to have" the right amount of gain to work well together. If you don't get the gain to match correctly, you definately won't be getting your system's full potential and will be better off with simply one or the other amp, as Jaybo suggested.

Otherwise, as John said, you need an active crossover which will really complicate things. For me, I didn't keep the biamped setup very long. I now use bispeakering and that works much better with the amps I have. Good luck! Arthur