Bi-Amping Maggie 3.6 Questions

Hi All,

I am thinking that I want to biamp my Maggie 3.6's but have some basic "dumb" questions. I have spent quite a bit of time reading about biamping on the various sites but Know I am not technical expert on the subject:

1. if I remove the Maggie external crossover and then connect my preamp to two identical amps, with no crossover,so that one amp is connected to the speaker treble/midrange inputs and the other amp is connected to the speakers bass inputs, is that okay to do?

I am reasoning if the amplifiers have the same gain and power ratings this could be okay.

Or is this a wrong assumption because the crossover prevents high frequency info from going to the bass and low frequency info from going to the tweeter so that each part of the speaker is doing just its part?

2. My other dumb question is would there be an improvement in the sound if I really did this with two identical stereo amps and used a crossover? I realize that most Maggie owners utilize two different amps, one for the tweeter mid range and another for the bass. However misguided it may seem,I like the sound of my W4S ST1000 and thought that two of them would bring an improvement quite inexpensively.

Please set me straight on this!

Thanks,

Dsper
dsper

Showing 1 response by magnumpi205

Cap replacement in the crossover is essential for improvement in sound. I upgraded the crossover and found a huge improvement in the continuity of the sound. Also, putting a new resistor and fuse on the crossover makes an even greater jump in performance.
I'm also using a Wyred amp.