Bi-Amping, best way??

I'm gonna have a play at biamping, since i have two Marantz PM6010OSE's, and wanted to know what people thought the best way of doing it was.... i'm think that i have CD into amp 1, then take tape-out from amp 1 into Aux in of Amp 2, and then have Amp 1 drive the Hi of Speaker 1 & 2, while Amp 2 drives the Lo of Speakers 1 & 2.

anyone have any thoughts in this setup, or can suggest an alternative/better.

btw the Pm6010's don't have any sort of pre-in/out.

cheers
daveb511

Showing 3 responses by daveb511

ok, have i understood right, if i try vertical then i... split the left signal from source and feed into l/r input on amp1, and right signal from source into l/r input on amp2, then amp1 has left and right channel into hi & lo of speaker1 and amp2 will take left and right channel into hi & lo of speaker2?

am i about there, i've orded some extra interconnects and x2 phone splitter adaptors, so hopefully can have a fiddle next few days.
Ok, i've tried Vertical bi-amping with 1 amp for each speaker, and the sound was much fuller, and the mid-range was a lot stronger, i think my wife described it as been more 'in your face' (she's a violinist), so though i'd swap things around to horizontal bi-amping with one amp for hi's and the other for lo's, and with her fine-tuned ear she was saying that there's less mid-range but you can make out all the instruments and a lot more detail and colour (not coloured, as in valve amp, but sparkle and life), but not as much force.....

so looks like for my setup then Horizontal bi-amping works best.... was it worth the extra bit of cable here and there, and also a 2nd hand identical amp.... Yep!
Edit/Delete Message
thought i'd let u all know how the biamping went, all my cables and things have come, also the 2nd identical amp (Marantz PM6010OSE)....

well i setup the system in vertical mode, with one amp for left speaker driving both hi/lo and other amp for right speaker ditto, and i just split the source to both amps, with left split into l/r on amp1 and right split into l/r on amp2.... so the results.... Brilliant!!!, the musical depth is much improved, the defenition in each speaker is a big step-up, the sound-stage is much the same, there is a good deal more bass, all in all the music is a lot more alive than before. I'm lacking real detail but thats more down to my very old CD source (Marantz CD54), i've got a Sony SCD-BX940 coming soon to have a play with, so will drop in the odd SACD to see how it sounds, but at the mo. all in all very happy, i'll have a play at changing to horizontal bi-amping with one amp for Hi's and one for Lo's just to see the difference, just more of a faff getting the balance right on the two amp volume control.

anyway, off to pour a beer and have a listen....