Bi-amping

Does bi-amping only benefit sound quality if your really driving your amp hard? I have a Mark Levinson 23.5 which is pushing my B&W 801 series 3. This amp is a beast and I never push it anywhere its max. I have an opportunity to purchase another 23.5 but don’t want to buy it just to buy it. If i’m not going to benefit in sonic performance, I wouldn’t want to do it. Any thoughts?
128x128luvrockin

Showing 3 responses by ct0517

luvrockin
If you are looking for better performance consider getting the Bass Alignment Filter and Bi-wiring. Your speakers as is, due to the box size and the way they were tuned, will play down to 39 hz. They do not play the bottom octave. If you want to hear the bottom octave consider acquiring the Bass Alignment Filter, that they were designed to be used with. 

39hz - 20khz without the BAF
20hz - 20khz with the BAF.

The BAF would give them potential for full range down to 20 hz. But they still need to be spaced properly in the room to achieve this. I show a past pic of my 801 (room and spacing) in my virtual system.

Good luck

Depends on a lot of things, how difficult your speakers are, where they are difficult, and how solid the power supply of the amplifier driving it is.

Erik
801 matrix 3 (and 2) are an easy 6 ohm load with the BAF. See pic 23 on my virtual system. Easily driven by even tube electronics tapped on 4 ohms.
Erik
the links you are showing are for the Series 2 801. The 801 that the OP is using, and that I used previously is the Series 3.

There were changes with the Series 3 - away from the Studio requirements and toward the Audiophile; so much so that the Sound Anchor stands for the Series 2 won't even fit on the S3.

S3 used a different crossover than s2 - less component count.
Better isolated mid and hf boards.
Bass inductors with an iron dust core .
Rotating midrange – tweeter head assembly was permanently connected. (from 3 to 4 pin delivering separate ground signals to midrange and tweeter)
Magnetic fluid cooling of the tweeter (like the 800 matrix) - the reason the apoc protection eliminated (circuits needed for this were also removed)

Here is the impedance graph for the 801 S3 sent to me by B&W England years ago. All markings are theirs.

801 Matrix S3

Cheers Chris